Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Ice Hill

(Picture courtesy of Arikah.com)

A few weekends ago, I spent some time playing with my two oldest children outside in the snow. The freezing rain hardened on top of the snow on the hill on the side of our house and made it into a giant ice ramp that was impossible to climb. Try as we might to reach the top, we always slipped and slid all the way down into the neighbor's yard.

We tried getting a good running start but only made it a third of the way up before we wound up in the neighbor's yard once again, laughing and out of breath. I finally discovered that I could slowly make it up the hill if I combined the running start with stomping the heal of my boot into the ice at the very instant that I felt myself slipping.

As I reflected about this some time later, I realized that it was an excellent illustration of ratzo v'shov. When I feel myself slipping backwards, I just need to dig my heels in and hold firm to the level that I am on before I attempt another ascent.

4 Comments:

At March 13, 2007 at 1:44:00 PM EDT, Blogger Neil Harris said...

It has been my experience that some of the best posts get the least comments (or that's what I tell myself before I go to sleep. Hahaha).
Brilliant post!
Being able to gain a lesson from things we see in the world is a valuable trait.

I hope your kids had fun!

 
At March 13, 2007 at 1:47:00 PM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Thanks for my one and only comment, Neil. I was beginning to wonder about this one....

 
At March 13, 2007 at 9:38:00 PM EDT, Blogger Mottel said...

You should change your name from A Simple Jew to a Ba'al Shem'ske Yid (though in essence they are one and the same) . . . It is beautiful how you learn a message in Avodas Hashem from the simple things of life.

 
At March 13, 2007 at 11:43:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment is regarding the previous post: A Sefer At Work.
I would like to always carry a sefer but it's a problem when you have to go to the bathroom, because you have to leave it outside. Often there's nowhere to put it.
Can anyone offer some advice on this issue?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home