Thursday, March 23, 2006

Learning Nach Again

Rabbi Chaim Kramer wrote in his book Crossing the Narrow Bridge, "Rebbe Nachman once said, 'My mussar book is Tanach' (Sichos V'Sippurim #21). The Rebbe was referring to yet another major benefit from studying Tanach - faith. Reading about and taking to heart all that happened to our forefathers, we find ourselves instilled with a faith and a trust in the One above. We are given encouragement to 'wait out' the trials and tribulations that afflict us; all the while hoping for the salvation promised to us by our prophets and righteous leaders."

Realizing that my knowledge of Nach is lacking, this week I started a seder of learning Nach at a slow pace. Two years ago, I made my way through Shoftim and Shmuel I and II. Now, beginning with Melachim, I hope to make my way through the rest of Nach along with some basic commentaries.

4 Comments:

At March 23, 2006 at 7:33:00 AM EST, Blogger Mottel said...

From 'Hayom Yom' 19 Adar I.
"The Chassidim, even the intermediate ones, were experts in Tanach. Their custom was . . . to learn Tanach while wrapping their Tallis and Tefillin -in a manner that they would complete the Tanach every three months"

You don't need to go that fast, but good luck!

 
At March 23, 2006 at 7:40:00 AM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Mottel: Thank you for sharing that. I contemplated joining the great new Nach Yomi progam decribed here

However, I see that there is a lot to be gained by slowly making my way through it without a daily quota.

 
At March 27, 2006 at 11:40:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The commentary component of the Judaica TaNaKH series is written and co-edited by Rabi Avraham J. Rosenberg, a close talmid of Reb Moshe Feinstein, and one of the finest translators of scholarly Judaica around. One of his sons is Rabbi Binyomin Rosenberg, director of Eizer L'Shabbos of Tzefat, featured on this website; and one of his grandsons is Rabbi Shmuel Rosenberg, "Sofer of Tzefat," also included on the sidebar. An illustrious family!

This TaNaKH is a classic.

 
At March 28, 2006 at 6:28:00 AM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Space Cadet: It sounds like a wonderful family. Thank you for the information :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home