Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"Coldness And Apathy"

(Picture courtesy of the Gowanus Lounge)

Aside from two specific events per year, I generally struggle with a feeling of coldness and apathy when it comes to various situations that relate to rikudim. Whether it's a Chasuna, or dancing on simchas Torah, I generally have a general lack of enthusiasm. When it comes to weddings, unless I am very close to a Chossan, I face this problem. On the first night of Shmini Atzeres, I went out of my way to daven at a Shul where they do not do Chassidishe hakafos on the first night of Shmini Atzeres. That way, I would only "have" to dance on Simchas Torah its self.

Dixie Yid: Simchas Torah Challenges - "Getting Into" the Dancing

3 Comments:

At October 10, 2007 at 10:01:00 AM EDT, Blogger DixieYid (يهودي جنوبي) said...

Thank you for the special link post. Perhaps some of your readers will have some ideas for me... :-)

 
At October 10, 2007 at 3:05:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem of "heavy feet" may be dismissed as simply a personality thing: some people like to dance, while others like to sit and eat potato kugel (such as me).

However, Rebbe Nachman relates it to the issue of "tikkun ha'raglin," rectifying the aspect of Malkhus, which certain neshamos are more strongly connected to than others. Malkhus-neshamos lean toward the dark side of things, and must work harder to overcome this tendency.

Maybe this is why you find it hard to dance...

If so, it might help to have the specific kavannah in mind that you are trying to lift up the Malkhus when you lift up your feet. It might help to read more about this issue in Chassidic seforim, such as Likkutei Moharan, Torah 32, etc.

 
At October 10, 2007 at 4:26:00 PM EDT, Blogger DixieYid (يهودي جنوبي) said...

Smashed Hat,

That is very helpful. Thank you. I have to see that piece. When I did read one or two of the yehi ratzons, it was helpful as a way to focus on certain thoughts during that part of the hakafa. Again, thanks.

-Dixie Yid

 

Post a Comment

<< Home