Tuesday, December 09, 2008

The Dividends Of Enduring Stress

(Picture courtesy of discoveryeducation.com)

Work has been incredibly stressful since Rosh Hashana. At times, it seems as if it was decreed that I would not enjoy tranquility this year. There have been days within the past few weeks that have been so difficult to deal with that I have woken up dreading to go into the office and felt a pit in my stomach and a tightness in my chest for the entire work day.

Despite enduring day after horrible day at the office, I made sure to leave the office at the office. I repeatedly fought off any thoughts of work as soon as I left for the day and made sure not to take out any of my frustrations on my family when I returned home.

After one particularly stressful week, my wife remarked to me that she noticed that I was dealing with our four year-old son with much more tolerance and patience than I normally did, and as a result his behavior at home had favorably improved. She also told me that his nursery school teacher had mentioned that he seemed happier and more well behaved during the course of the day.

Hearing these words from my wife helped me put what I was going through in a greater perspective; accepting the stress as a necessary means to help me improve my relationship with my son.

9 Comments:

At December 9, 2008 at 7:12:00 AM EST, Blogger Avraham said...

A W E S O M E ! ! !

 
At December 9, 2008 at 10:59:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A silver lining, eh?
ASJ,I hope the office situation improves soon, and I hope all the kids are happier for it!

 
At December 9, 2008 at 11:02:00 AM EST, Blogger Neil Harris said...

Being able to leave the office at "the office" is a real bracha!

 
At December 9, 2008 at 12:24:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pray that your work-related stress disappears soon!

Three relevant quotes from Likutei Eitzot:

The depression which descends on a person when he has to struggle excessively for a living is the `filth of the serpent.' All the limbs of the body become heavy, and the vital spirit which
pulsates in the body -- the very basis of life -- is weakened. The weaker it becomes, the heavier the limbs become, and they in turn weigh down the spirit even more. This vicious cycle can actually bring a person to the point of death. The root of the syndrome is the struggle for money, which is the source of anxiety and depression. But when a person sighs with longing for the holy,
moaning out of yearning for God, it helps to rally his strength and revitalize the pulsating spirit
within him, bringing new vigor and life. In the end he will attain profound understanding and hear words from Heaven itself (Ibid. 9).

You should never fear anything except God. If ever you begin to feel afraid of anything, remember the great fear, which is due to God. Throughout the day, fill your entire consciousness with this sense of awe.

Charity is the comprehensive tikkun for business activity. With every step a person takes as he
goes about his business, with every word he speaks and every ounce of strength he puts into his
work, he should have it in mind that his only goal is to give charity from the money he earns
(29:9)

My Hashem give us the ability to live by these teachings, and thereby banish all workplace stress!

 
At December 9, 2008 at 12:29:00 PM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Thanks everyone for your chizuk!

Yishai: Please e-mail me when you get a chance.

 
At December 9, 2008 at 6:17:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it reminds me how sometimes we feel like we arent growing at all, just stuck or even going backwards-yet we keep persevering and then we some miracle happen in a part of life that is very unexpected.

 
At December 10, 2008 at 8:45:00 AM EST, Blogger Pixie said...

Thank you

 
At December 10, 2008 at 8:46:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Yishai for your quotation! It is so true.

 
At December 11, 2008 at 1:42:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

take good care of your health. it is a mizvah to take 'extremely good care of your soul'.

if you need to change jobs,change what you do at work, take some time off, or get some counseling to deal with/manage the stress, then please do it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home