Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Return To Simplicity

"You used to be all about the music, but you've changed!"

This is a common refrain heard from musicians upon learning that one of their band members is leaving them and setting off on a solo career.

Long-time readers have recently commented that my blog has changed. It is not because I am setting off on a solo career, but rather because, more often than naught, I am now playing with a band to the tunes of Q&As and guest postings.

I have given considerable thought to all of the comments in last week's posting and I have finally concluded that my recent feelings and consideration of throwing in the blogging towel did not stem from my whirling life around me, but rather from the fact that "I" have been absent from my own blog for some time now.

Although I have been blogging for close to five years, my blog has grown larger than myself in a certain sense. I now routinely stockpile two or three weeks worth of postings so that I never have to feel a daily blogging pressure. I admit, these days I also rely too heavily on Q&As and guest postings in order to ensure that I can continue posting on a regular basis and alleviate this nagging feeling of pressure. I have used them as a crutch. But now, I have decided to make a change.

Starting today, I will no longer post on a routine basis out of a sense of obligation. I plan to post less and less Q&A and guest postings and more and more postings containing my own thoughts and ideas. This is not to say that I will never post links or quotes postings. I still intend to post the stockpiled postings that I have in reserve and the postings that I have committed to others to post over the next few weeks. Afterward, however, when this reserve is depleted, readers may begin noticing that the postings' frequency and format on my blog begin changing.

Without shifting my focus on simplicity, I am plan to return to the standard I originally set for myself. I may have deviated off the road for a brief stretch over the past year or so, but now I plan to return.

13 Comments:

At July 21, 2009 at 11:10:00 AM EDT, Blogger Mottel said...

ASJ: WOW! Now this good news - may you continue to inspire us all! I look forward to seeing the new content.

 
At July 21, 2009 at 11:11:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Thanks, Mottel. You will be happy to hear that I actually wrote this posting this morning. It wasn't in the reserve...

 
At July 21, 2009 at 11:20:00 AM EDT, Anonymous shoshana (bershad) said...

That simple, unpaved road through Sudilkov is a perfect metaphor for the new path you're taking: a course that keeps you "grounded" while it leads you to your destination. I'm glad you decided to get off the highway and take a different route rather than end your journey.

 
At July 21, 2009 at 11:29:00 AM EDT, Blogger Neil Harris said...

Hatzlacha Rabbah!

 
At July 21, 2009 at 12:19:00 PM EDT, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

As long as you enjoy it, then all will be fine.

 
At July 21, 2009 at 12:21:00 PM EDT, Blogger Mottel said...

:)
Re: the photo - it does stand as a powerful metaphor for what you do . . .

 
At July 21, 2009 at 2:31:00 PM EDT, Anonymous dimyon said...

Once again, thank you so much for your blog. I read it daily, and it rejuvenates me each time. Your original postings are written with great tmimus, but at the same time contain intellectual depth to what may seem like simplistic events. Even the links you post are well chosen and are often inspirational. Todah Rabah, and Hatzlacha in the future! I 'm looking forward to tomorrow's posting!

 
At July 21, 2009 at 2:34:00 PM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Dimyon: While I am posting a very short piece tomorrow that contains my thoughts, I still have some previously scheduled postings that I am planning to put up the next two week. Nevertheless, I intend to intersperse them with some new postings as well... Thanks for the feedback!

 
At July 21, 2009 at 8:40:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know who you are (and wish I did)but I am really glad you will continue to post and focus on what is meaningful for you. You played a big part in turning me on to the Avodah of R. Nachman, which has infinitely enriched my life.

 
At July 21, 2009 at 11:06:00 PM EDT, Anonymous yaakov said...

really love your blog, it has given much chizuk and insight to many!!

do what's best for you and know that many of us simply (good word choice here) have great appreciation for your kavanah and avodah.

 
At July 22, 2009 at 1:24:00 AM EDT, Blogger Yehoishophot Oliver said...

People like the guest posts. I don't see why it has to be a contradiction. You can do both! As for the pressure to have regular postings, and the need to keep a reserve in order to guarantee that, why is that so terrible? It may be less spontaneous, which is admittedly a downside, but when you post regularly, you benefit people more, so it's a trade-off of sorts. And if you wait until spontaneous ideas arise, how do you know that they'll come?

 
At July 22, 2009 at 3:28:00 AM EDT, Blogger Rafi G. said...

b'hatzlacha. Take the blog in the direction you want it to be. It has to be satisfying for you. Only if you enjoy it, will your readers continue enjoying it.

 
At July 22, 2009 at 9:31:00 AM EDT, Anonymous chabakuk elisha said...

This is GREAT news!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home