Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Water Under The Bridge


From time to time an uncharitable thought or memory may arise in my mind regarding the actions of a fellow Jew. If I cannot push it out my head immediately, I ask myself, "When did this event occur? Did it just happen, or did occur before Yom Kippur?"

If it occurred before Yom Kippur, I remind myself to assume that this was an action the person did teshuva for. If I truly believe that Yom Kippur wipes away my aveiros, I must believe that it wiped away this person's aveiros as well.

5 Comments:

At October 19, 2010 at 10:47:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Bob Miller said...

Do you also follow the custom of forgiving other Jews in the bedtime prayers, as printed in many siddurim?

 
At October 19, 2010 at 11:06:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Yes

 
At October 19, 2010 at 11:44:00 AM EDT, Blogger Neil Harris said...

Excellent post.

 
At October 20, 2010 at 12:47:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dan said...

I believe, even if it occurred after Yom Kippur, regarding most Jews, ie the Tzaddikim and the Benonim, we are required to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they have already done Teshuva for it. I know with the Tzaddikim we are required to, and I am not sure if it is a requirement or midas chassidas by the benonim. Either way, it can't hurt to assume a person has done Teshuva.

 
At October 20, 2010 at 8:00:00 AM EDT, Blogger Avraham said...

לקוטי מוהר"ן – תורה רפ"ב: דע כי צריך לדון את כל אדם לכף זכות ואפילו מי שהוא רשע גמור צריך לחפש ולמצא בו איזה מעט טוב שבאותו המעט אינו רשע ועל ידי זה שמוצא בו מעט טוב ודן אותו לכף זכות על ידי זה מעלה אותו באמת לכף זכות ויכול להשיבו בתשובה

 

Post a Comment

<< Home