Monday, January 31, 2005

The Irony of Time

We spent some time this weekend with one of my wife's single friends. It was interesting to hear about the life of someone who is not married, does not have children, or have a house to maintain. It is hard to imagine this type of life anymore. If I had even an hour to myself now I would have to check to make sure that Moshiach had not already come. I can't even imagine what it would be like to have days and weeks where I would be able to pursue my own interests and hobbies.

Time can be a blessing or a curse depending on your situation. I remember that time was not my friend when I was single. I could not appreciate all the spare time because I knew that there was always something missing in my life. When I had too much time on my hands my mind was incredibly active, almost too active. Sometime even thinking was a curse.

Now I would not trade my current life for all the free time in the world. Thanks to Hashem, I have a loving wife, wondeful children, and a beautiful home. As much as I would like some free time I realize that one cannot have every desire fulfilled. I realize that this incredibly busy time in my life is only temporary while my children are still growing up and living at home. I have to constantly remind myself to live in the present and enjoy each day.

3 Comments:

At January 31, 2005 at 3:11:00 PM EST, Blogger Stacey said...

Your post is a timely reminder that life is all about the journey, not the destination.

I have almost no time to myself, either, but when I look in the eyes of my beautiful children, I realize I wouldn't have it any other way.

 
At January 31, 2005 at 5:24:00 PM EST, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

It is hard to deal with limited time, but very important to live in the present.

 
At January 31, 2005 at 8:02:00 PM EST, Blogger Tamara said...

I am that single Jewish woman in her early 30s. Tons of free time, yet, I feel busy ALL the time. Sometimes I even let dishes sit in my sink!! I can't wait to be so busy in a relationship/family, that a half hour of quiet is pure bliss. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home