Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Looking Beyond the Haze

I stopped going to movies ever since my first child was born. It is not because philosophically I have a problem with going to the movies, it is because I simply don't have the time anymore. Aside from children's programming, I do not watch television either. If I get a spare moment to myself, I pick up a book.

It has been so long since I saw a movie or a regular television show that I no longer miss it. It is amazing that something that was such a part of my life now plays absolutely no role.

Everything our eyes see influences us.

It is liberating when we can make the choice of what we want to influence us.

It is liberating when we look beyond the haze of movies, television, and sports and into ourselves.

5 Comments:

At January 12, 2005 at 9:37:00 AM EST, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

We haven't made it to many movies either, but we have hit a few. It is nice to get away and just enjoy a good show.

 
At January 12, 2005 at 1:04:00 PM EST, Blogger B2 said...

Yeah, since the kids came we just haven't been able to find the time to see movies on the sliver screen. We rent a lot now. And we read together a lot, too, omce the kids are sleeping. Curled up on the couch together with our books, drinking tea... hmmm. Are we old now?

 
At January 12, 2005 at 5:34:00 PM EST, Blogger Anshel's Wife said...

During the winter, when Shabbos is over early, we like to rent movies. But by the time Purim is over, we just don't have time to watch them since we need to get ready for Pesach.

You are so right about "looking beyond the haze". But sometimes, I just want to be in that haze. Just for a little while.

 
At January 13, 2005 at 4:12:00 AM EST, Blogger Hokule'a Kealoha said...

I gave up TV when my ex took it as part of our divorce settlement in 1988. Was the best thing to ever happen to me. I havent owned one since. I will watch it when we travel...its a treat then. My new husband, a sports nut says that its turned him into a social butterfly and he hits the sports bars and has the comraderie as well as the game to watch... I can no longer stand the chatter chatter chatter of the TV..

 
At January 14, 2005 at 7:08:00 AM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Thank you all for your comments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home