Tuesday, March 15, 2005

A Lightening Of The Weight On My Shoulders

This past weekend we had dinner at the home of a family who has four young children, one of whom is severely autistic. I cannot even imagine the dedication and selflessness that it takes to care for this child. It completely humbles me. Seeing this child was a lesson for me to remember that no matter how difficult I think my problems are, there are always others with problems that will make mine pale in comparison.

Before a child is born, maybe first-time parents should take time out of their schedules and care for a special needs child for just one day. The reality they encounter is sure to leave a lasting impression on them.

4 Comments:

At March 15, 2005 at 9:01:00 AM EST, Blogger torontopearl said...

Such a simple suggestion holds so much power...

One of my closest friends has three young sons -- the two oldest are both autistic, although not severely. However, add in therapies, tutors, special needs social programs, behavioral problems, physical problems, etc., a mother who works full-time, a mother who does not complain but just states matter-of-factly her sons' issues, a mother who spends time seeking out resources to better her children's situations and a mother who is still able to mother her non-autistic son, be a wife, be a marathon trainer, and you have some PACKAGE DEAL!

 
At March 15, 2005 at 11:03:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even after their child is born I would recommend they volunteer to help special needs children. It teaches their children compassion and caring, that the value of a person is not centered on how 'perfect' they are. My brother was born with Down Syndrome way back in 1958. He was one of the best blessings that G-d bestowed on me, as well as our family! He was killed in 1988 but I am grateful to G-d for every year we had with him. And, my son has a heart for those special people G-d has blessed this world with. ~C

 
At March 16, 2005 at 7:13:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simple Jew do you think Jewish communities (from Chassidic to modern) are set up to help families with children who are less than perfect?

 
At March 16, 2005 at 7:18:00 AM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Thank you for your question, while I really could not provide a definitive answer, I do know that there are many fine organizations within the Jewish community to help these children such as HASC.

http://www.hasc.net/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home