Monday, March 21, 2005

My Daughter's Favorite Uncle

Who is it? Uncle Moishy of course!

We are not related to Uncle Moishy, but my daughter sure wishes we were. As I am writing this she is dancing next to the computer to the sounds of Uncle Moishy - Volume 12. She can't get enough of him. She enjoys him so much so that she gets upset on Shabbos when she can't watch him. She now understands and tells others at shul, "Uncle Moishy is sleeping. It's Shabbos. Uncle Moishy sleeping on Shabbos."

My nine-month son has different musical tastes. Each night when my wife gives my daughter a bath, my son and I listen to Yosef Karduner or Matisyahu. These are his two favorites and he excitedly kicks his feet to their music.

Our nighttime listening sessions are interrupted as soon as my daughter gets out of the bathtub and hears Yosef Karduner or Matisyahu. Hearing a non-Uncle Moishy CD causes her to yell, "TURN THE MUSIC OFF! TURN IT OFF!!!". For my daughter the entire world of music is easily divided into two groups: a) non-Uncle Moishy music, and b) Uncle Moishy music. She insists on listening to him in the car and now when she watches television all she wants to watch is the Uncle Moishy Chol Hamoed Pesach 2004 DVD.

My daughter made it clear who her favorite musical artist is on Sunday morning at the Jewish book store. Her strong little two-year-old voice could be heard reverberating off the walls, "NEW UNCLE MOISHY. WANT NEW UNCLE MOISHY. ....UNCLE MOISHY!!"

Yes, we caved in. We now have a new Uncle Moishy CD to add to our vast collection of CDs and DVDs.

5 Comments:

At March 21, 2005 at 8:43:00 AM EST, Blogger torontopearl said...

Just a tidbit trivia--
Uncle Moishy grew up down the street from me, maybe 20-25 houses away. His father still lives there, and I've heard people I know talk about Uncle Moishy PRE-UNCLE MOISHY DAYS.

 
At March 21, 2005 at 10:39:00 AM EST, Blogger Anshel's Wife said...

My kids (9, 4, 2 1/2, 16 months) love Matisyahu. As soon as we get into the car they want to "chop 'em down, chop 'em down". They also like Captain Dovid. Neshama Orchestra has a couple of very nice kids' cd's out. My husband listens to Shlomo Carlbach. [When I'm alone in the car, my tastes run towards very loud Rolling Stones......]

 
At March 21, 2005 at 11:27:00 AM EST, Blogger Chaim said...

That's a very good post! My youngest son loves Uncle Moishy, more than other of my other 2 kids ever did, and he only wants to watch one dvd (the UM vol 8 one) my middle kid loves matisyahu tho, as soon as we start the cd she is dancing away.

By the way, i have a brother who's name is Moishy, and he loves to bank off that one wth my kids.

 
At March 23, 2005 at 6:39:00 AM EST, Blogger who am i said...

still laughing...thanks.

 
At March 23, 2005 at 10:25:00 AM EST, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

This made me smile.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home