Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Unsolicited Advice

Unsolicited advice - everyone likes giving it, but no one likes receiving it.

As I slowly mature, I have learned not to give unsolicited advice.

When I was in my twenties, I used to wonder why people didn't ask me my opinion of things. Why didn't people want to know what I thought? The reason, I later realized, was because I freely told people my opinion and gave unsolicited advice.

Over time I came to understand something else about unsolicited advice. No one enjoys being told what they should do. They don't want to hear the ideas of someone who doesn't fully understand their situation and does not have to live with the repercussions of their advice.

Today people may think I am a quiet person. It is not because this is my nature, it is because I understand that if someone wants to know my opinion or needs my advice, they will ask me.

2 Comments:

At March 8, 2005 at 11:31:00 AM EST, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Let me tell you what you should do. ;)

 
At March 9, 2005 at 7:31:00 AM EST, Blogger Alice said...

Yeah dorks like me need it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home