Tuesday, June 07, 2005

A Friend's Reminder

This posting was a reminder when I needed it the most. Continually being able to overcome lethargy and truly daven from one's heart is extremely difficult. Rebbe Nachman of Breslov warned in Likutey Moharan I,9, "When a person stands up to pray he is beset by external thoughts and kelipos surround him on all sides."

The Yetzer Hara opposes me in this area on a daily basis, particularly at the times for Minchah and Maariv. It tries to convince me that I am too exhausted to daven. It tells me that I should forget about davening and go to sleep so I can daven with more energy and enthusiasm in the morning. When I am davening it tries to divert my concentration to matters relating to the office or to other trivialities.

The Baal Shem Tov once observed, "One can learn a great deal by observing the Evil Inclination - for example, the great lengths it will go to achieve its purpose. Now you, on the other hand, do only the absolute minimum.

Deep down I know I am capable of much more. I can do more than the absolute minimum and overcome my inherent laziness.

I will start again now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home