Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Geneivas Zman - Stealing Time From Others

A person who is habitually late may not realize that the punctual person waiting for him views the lack of punctuality as a sign of disrespect. This person's actions indicate that he does not have any regard for another person's time.

If one looks through the books of our heritage, where does one find the idea that it permitted to be habitually late?

Where does one find the idea that time is not precious and that time should be wasted?

What justification can the habitually late person find for his actions other than pointing a finger at the lack of punctuality of "other people"?

--
Theft of time is every bit as serious as theft of money.

(Rabbi Moshe Chaim Luzzatto)

5 Comments:

At June 21, 2005 at 11:14:00 AM EDT, Blogger Anshel's Wife said...

So, what is Jewish Time? It's crazy. There is Jewish Time and then there is Lubavitch Time, which makes me even more crazy. We had a school meeting called for 7pm last night. I know that no time is a good time. But it's not like we have meetings every night! We did not get started until 7:20 and that's because we wanted to have more than 5 people there! I said to the rabbi that The Rebbe was never late, so why are Lubavitchers notorious for always being late? He had no answer. I guess my always being early and/or ontime is just a holdover from my life before BT.

 
At June 21, 2005 at 11:50:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oy -
That would mean that blogging while at work is verbotten!
chatasi avisi poshati...

 
At June 21, 2005 at 5:39:00 PM EDT, Blogger Alice said...

I got my lateness much more under control when someone pointed out that it's often an anger issue. I was pissed off that someone was making me do something, even though the truth was that I was the one choosing to be there. No one was forcing me. When I stopped caring about being late I realized it was time to quit. It can also be a passive way of trying to get someone to fire you or stop asking you to do things, etc.

 
At June 21, 2005 at 8:22:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some wonderful people are habitually late; they are just not so organized or don't plan well. You're right, it's not considerate, but hey there are many worse traits out there. In any case, we all have ways in which we need to improve.

 
At July 30, 2007 at 2:41:00 PM EDT, Blogger Menachem said...

"Theft of time is every bit as serious as theft of money.

(Rabbi Moshe Chaim Luzzatto)"

Where did R. Luzzatto say this?
Thanks
Menachem

 

Post a Comment

<< Home