Friday, June 10, 2005

A Guest Posting From My Wife: Should You Find Out The Gender Of The Baby?

The other day I heard a story that really confirmed in my mind that everything happens for a reason.

A neighbor of ours is expecting her second baby. In announcing the pregnancy a few months ago, there was no hiding the fact that she and her husband really wanted to have a boy (their first child is a girl). Not only did they say they wanted to have a boy, but both grandmothers told many of our neighbors the same thing.

Here's where the story unfolds. The first time my neighbor went for a sonogram, the baby crossed its legs and did not allow the technician to determine the gender. The second time she went for a sonogram, the machine was broken. And, the third time the doctor was called away on an emergency.

Needless to say, I was sure this was a sign from Above, that perhaps my neighbor was not meant to find out the gender of her unborn baby. I said something to this effect to her a few weeks ago, but she said they were determined to find out the sex of the baby. In the back of my head, I thought it was going to be a girl.

Well, I ran into her husband the other day and I said, "Any news?!"

He said, "It's a girl...." Not too excited, I must say.

I guess we need to pay attention to signs from G-d to prevent us for any unnecessary disappointments in life.

All I hope is that they are blessed with a healthy baby girl that will be loved unconditionally even though everyone knew they wanted to have a boy.

7 Comments:

At June 10, 2005 at 5:37:00 PM EDT, Blogger torontopearl said...

meant to welcome you much earlier in the day to our blogging circle.

i'm with you in that i never wanted to know what sex my three children were -- yes, disappointment can be hovering even if you try to convince yourself you're happy with the sex of the baby. better not to know and just anticipate and pray for the birth of a healthy child.

wishing you and family a good shabbos and a chag sameach.

 
At June 11, 2005 at 9:59:00 AM EDT, Blogger Alice said...

Being pregnant I have found that another benefit of not finding out is that it's much easier to avoid buying baby items before the baby is born if you don't know the gender. And it also helps fend off the well meaning and generous people who want to fill the nursery prior to the birth as well. (That has been much tougher than not finding out the gender or restraining my shopping.)

 
At June 12, 2005 at 5:24:00 AM EDT, Blogger Safranit said...

When I was pregnant with my second, I didn't want to know, because in the end I knew I'd be happy either way, but I didn't want to be dissappointed along the way. (It is impossible to be dissappointed once you see the baby)

 
At June 14, 2005 at 8:31:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think its best to wait.But reading the events as a a SIGN from God?Do we know Gods ways?

 
At October 30, 2005 at 6:49:00 AM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Tuesdaywishes: My wife also seemed to "know" with our second child as well. With my daughter, my wife had a tremendous sweet tooth. And with my son, all she wanted to eat was steak and other fleishig foods.

 
At March 12, 2007 at 8:11:00 PM EDT, Blogger Gandalin said...

This is a very beautiful and truthful article. I only wish you would say "the sex of the newborn baby" instead of "the gender of the newborn baby." Not to be too pedantic, but "gender" is a grammarian's term that refers to nouns. It has been used to describe the two sexes of human beings more and more frequently over the past 50 years, particularly by social theorists who argue that a person's gender is a social construct. If you believe that, fine, I apologize, just ignore this message. But if you believe that "male and female He created them," then I think that "sex" is the proper biological word. Despite what the Spanish Government may want to believe, every human being has a mother and a father, not a "Progenitor A" and "Progenitor B."

Anyway, very nice post.

 
At March 13, 2007 at 8:12:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Thanks, Gandalin!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home