Thursday, June 23, 2005

Nachas From My Daughter

Of all the things people tell me about my children, I got the most nachas from my brother-in-law's recent compliment on how frequently my two year-old daughter says "thank you".

While some people may put their primary efforts into ensuring that their children excel academically, I am more concerned about raising my children to have middos tovos.

There are few things more important than teaching children to express gratitude for the things they receive in life. Raising a child to be a little genius without placing an equal emphasis on raising him to have warm and caring heart is a recipe for disaster.

--
Rabbi Yochanan said to them: Go and see which is the best trait for a person to acquire. Said Rabbi Eliezer: A good eye. Said Rabbi Yehoshua: A good friend. Said Rabbi Yossi: A good neighbor. Said Rabbi Shimon: To see what is born [out of ones actions]. Said Rabbi Elazar: A good heart. Said he to them: I prefer the words of Elazar ben Arach to yours, for his words include all of yours.

(Pirkei Avos 2:13)

2 Comments:

At June 23, 2005 at 11:10:00 AM EDT, Blogger Pilot Mom said...

Oh how true this is! Gratitude and common curtesy is lacking so much in society today. Keep it up! :)

 
At June 23, 2005 at 11:57:00 AM EDT, Blogger Anshel's Wife said...

The Rebbe said that if your children are menschen, everything else will fall into place. (or something like that)
Yasher Koach on being such a good totty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home