Thursday, July 21, 2005

Guest Posting from Chabakuk Elisha: Helpful Meditation

An interesting thing happened to me the other day. I was contemplating a certain activity, and as I was rationalizing it's legitimacy, I remembered a short lesson:

The Baal HaTanya was once visited by Rebbe Nachman of Breslov. While they were together, the Baal HaTanya expounded on Tehillim 23:4, "Even when I walk in the valley of darkness, I will fear no evil for You are with me.." Here, the Baal HaTanya interpreted it a bit differently by moving the comma and translating it thus:

"Even when I walk in the valley of darkness I do not fear, The real evil is, that I bring You here with me."

The lesson being taught here is, that we often are not concerned with our own state. If we act improperly (we rationalize), we're not hurting anyone, so what's the big deal. The Baal HaTanya hits on this, and reminds us to remember that we are not alone in our actions -- G-d is with us. How terrible it is for us to force G-d to be with us when we act inappropriately, for we force him to be a part of that act.

If only I would carry that thought with me at all times, I surely would never act improperly!

--
Chabakuk Elisha's last guest posting can be read here.

6 Comments:

At July 21, 2005 at 9:49:00 AM EDT, Blogger Tamara said...

As always, quite thought provoking.

 
At July 21, 2005 at 1:56:00 PM EDT, Blogger smb said...

excellent message.

 
At July 21, 2005 at 6:31:00 PM EDT, Blogger AvR said...

B"H

What a edifying reminder. I am forever prone to rationalization, and this is a meditation I can carry with me.

Thank you.

 
At August 26, 2007 at 3:07:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what do you think reb nachman would've responded to him? he may have said that his interpretation is the problem. rn often said that H' will redeem you 'from there'...no matter how far you've gone. if one has H' on his mind, regardless, it is a far better sign than not at all.

this post is weird to me.

 
At November 10, 2007 at 11:00:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How to balance contradiction living hand in hand?

 
At November 11, 2009 at 9:09:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know, but it sounds like the Baal haTanya is referring to l'chatchila, and Reb Nachman's concept, mentioned above, is referring to bede'avad...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home