Friday, July 22, 2005

A Night As A Bachelor - 1995 & 2005

On Wednesday, my wife took the kids for an overnight visit to see her parents and I had the house all to myself. My night as a "bachelor" was quite different than a typical night ten years ago when I lived by myself in a small studio apartment downtown.

On a typical Wednesday night in 1995 I would:

- Rent a video from Tower Video
- Eat macaroni and cheese out of a pot placed on the coffee table in front of the television
- Drink Mountain Dew
- Stay up late

...and on this Wednesday night in 2005 I:

- Came home from work
- Ate macaroni and cheese out of a bowl at the kitchen table
- Mowed the lawn
- Read The Trail to Tranquility
- Went to bed early

Times have certainly changed!

4 Comments:

At July 22, 2005 at 8:39:00 AM EDT, Blogger torontopearl said...

You might've improved in those ten years, but your menu certainly hasn't! ;)

 
At July 22, 2005 at 11:00:00 AM EDT, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

I remember those days. It was a different world.

 
At July 22, 2005 at 1:07:00 PM EDT, Blogger Pilot Mom said...

Thanks for the laugh this morning! :)

 
At July 22, 2005 at 1:45:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mowing the lawn!! Now I'm jealous.

This is also why I always try to dissuade my wife from leaving me alone - But when she does leave me alone, this is my general schedule:
Work Late.
Pray.
Eat some cheese out of the package.
Drink some OJ.
Go to sleep miserable.

Back in 1995 I lived in California and I had my second child. I might not have worked as late, and I'd probably make myself a sandwich and read a book too... and I don't think I would have been quite as miserable as I get these days... I guess loneliness is a bigger deal to me these days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home