Friday, July 29, 2005

Progress Report - Eating Like An Animal - Part II

Despite a hearty appetite and mountains of appetizing-looking food, I am proud to report that I did not eat like an animal at a bris Tuesday night. It appears that I have made some progress since the bris I attended on July 4.

Restraining myself from overeating has always been difficult. After learning that my mother was diagnosed with adult onset diabetes a few years ago, I undertook a weight loss regimen and successfully lost 60 pounds by moderating my diet and running on the treadmill three times a week. My ability to lose this weight showed me that a person can truly do anything he puts his mind to.

Although the temptation to overeat is still with me, the $18 fine has acted as an effective deterrent.

--
Be careful not to gulp your food down hurriedly like a glutton. It was Esav who said, `Let me swallow some of this red pottage' (Bereishis 25:30). Get into the habit of eating at a moderate pace, calmly and with the same table manners you would show if an important guest were present. You should always eat like this, even when you are eating alone. Happy is the one who achieves this!

(Rebbe Nachman of Breslov)

4 Comments:

At July 29, 2005 at 3:38:00 PM EDT, Blogger Alice said...

Clearly, food is a toughy for most people, so good for you. And bravo for losing 60 pounds and keeping it off. I've seen people die from diabetes and it is very ugly. It's rampant in my family and I refuse to go down that way. (God willing.)

 
At July 30, 2005 at 11:59:00 PM EDT, Blogger Stacey said...

Way to go, SJ! It's all about self-control.

 
At July 31, 2005 at 5:59:00 PM EDT, Blogger AvR said...

I have, for most of my life, been blessed with the control to eat sparingly, and just enough; however, I find in the last year or so I am MUCH more interested in what's on my plate. Learing to control this is very difficult, thin, zaftig, or in between.

 
At August 1, 2005 at 5:05:00 PM EDT, Blogger Pilot Mom said...

Congratulations on losing the weight! I think it's wonderful that you took a pro-active stance and did something about it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home