Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Rationalizing

Some rationalizations:

I don't agree that the speed limit should be 55.

Isn't 55 just an arbitrary number that symbolically tells us to be careful driving?

I am careful driving at 65 so there shouldn't be a problem, right?

--

I don't agree with this mitzvah.

Isn't this just a symbolic act anyway?

If I am mindful of the symbolism couldn't it be considered as if I fulfilled the mitzvah?

--
Many times in our lives we feel we have questions, and we are frustrated because we cannot get satisfactory answers. It would be well to examine these questions and see whether they are really questions, or rather terutzim (rationalizations/excuses). There are satisfactory answers to questions, but there are no answers to terutzim.

(Rabbi Abraham J. Twerski)

4 Comments:

At July 5, 2005 at 10:21:00 AM EDT, Blogger Chaim said...

Simple, your on top of your game today, excellent posts.

 
At July 5, 2005 at 11:17:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed!

 
At July 5, 2005 at 12:18:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chassidim say:
"If one immerses in Mikva without all the kavanos (the meditations that one should contemplate while immersing) then it is like he has not truly immersed.
However, we cannot compare him to one who has all the proper kavanos, but who does not physically enter the water, for he has truly done nothing."


Your speeding example is excellent; the mind is so incredibly capable of rationalizations!
I remember once driving while very tired, and for a moment I thought it might be possible for me to rest my eyes (sleep!) for a moment or two while driving straight - and that I would be ok... what an idea! (Thank G-d I had the sense not to push on much longer.)

How often it is that we think we can make a judgement about what is right or proper, when we are so subjective, and often not in possession of the necessary data to make many decisions. This seems to me to be one of the many pitfalls of the unhealthy ego...

Here's an interesting link along those lines (rationalizations about what should be accepted as proper without possession of the facts):
http://www.chabad.org/library/article.asp?AID=2942

 
At July 5, 2005 at 3:18:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If a person wants an answer they'll find it. And if they can't handle it, they'll find a way to rationalize.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home