Friday, September 09, 2005

Elul Thoughts

After Tisha B'Av each year I feel as if my blessings for the year start to deplete. It is this time of year that I begin to look forward to the infusion of new blessings that Rosh Hashanah brings. While last Friday I wrote that I felt as if I were stuck waiting at a red light, today I sense that the light is about to turn green again.

Every minute of the month of Elul is precious. Our efforts to improve ourselves and to improve our avodas Hashem during this month are especially important as we approach Rosh Hashanah - the Day of Judgment. As the Gemara (Beitza 16a) states, "All of a person’s earnings are preordained from one Rosh Hashanah to the following Rosh Hashanah."

Ribbono shel Olam, I have so many things that are up in the air for me right now. So many things that are out of my control. It feels as if the globe is rapidly spinning under my feet. It is Elul, help me use my time wisely.

3 Comments:

At September 9, 2005 at 2:12:00 PM EDT, Blogger Pilot Mom said...

Isn't that where He wants us though? Not with us in control but with Him? The older I get the more I have learned to leave it all in an open hand rather than a closed fist. It is much easier for Him to pluck out what He desires (or place in me) rather than having to pry my fingers from whatever I am holding on to tightly to. :)

 
At September 9, 2005 at 3:22:00 PM EDT, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Another beutiful post which I will carry into shabbat. I bless you with clarity and that you see the response you receive from HaShem is the one you need.

 
At September 11, 2005 at 6:38:00 PM EDT, Blogger Keren Perles said...

In Elul, clarity often comes proportionally to the desire for it.

If that's true, you needn't worry ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home