Thursday, September 01, 2005

Mortality & Procrastination

After three years of procrastination, I am taking the day off work today so my wife and I can meet with an attorney and have our wills drawn up. Perhaps the reason I have put off doing it for so long is that the process of preparing a will forces me to deal with my mortality.

The most difficult question of this process is deciding who will raise my children if something, G-d forbid, happens to my wife and myself. Thankfully, this decision is not extremely difficult, however, I still cannot imagine anyone else raising our children. Being forced to answer this question makes me want to scream out, "But I don't want to die!!! I want to keep living!!! I don't want anyone else raising MY kids!!!"

Perhaps, I just need to take the "I" out of the equation.

5 Comments:

At September 1, 2005 at 10:11:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never been able to address this issue, and it remains undone. As ridiculous as I know it is, I continue to procrastinate on the entire idea of writing up a will.
I hope I'll learn from you and take care of it, but it seems like it might still take a while...

 
At September 1, 2005 at 10:11:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never been able to address this issue, and it remains undone. As ridiculous as I know it is, I continue to procrastinate on the entire idea of writing up a will.
I hope I'll learn from you and take care of it, but it seems like it might still take a while...

 
At September 1, 2005 at 2:42:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is a scarey thing...but it also kinda reminds one Who really is in charge...hakol biyidei shamayim chutz miyiras shamayim

 
At September 2, 2005 at 3:35:00 AM EDT, Blogger yitz said...

Buying a burial plot [which we haven't done yet] is known to be a segula for arichas yamim - long life. Indeed, one can see at cemeteries in Israel a signpost that says, "Kaniti m'Chaim - I bought this while still alive." Perhaps drawing up wills [which we have done] shares this segula. Anyone know?

 
At September 2, 2005 at 11:12:00 PM EDT, Blogger Stacey said...

I am usually so organized and on top of matters such as these. However, I can't seem to do this either for the very reasons you've mentioned.

Thank you for the reminder of why this is so important.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home