Wednesday, September 21, 2005

One Step Closer

As of today, we have two weeks left to prepare for Rosh Hashanah. Whether Rosh Hashanah falls out early or late on the calendar, I never feel quite prepared for its arrival. I don't think I will ever feel prepared.

How can a person be ready for this day that determines what will happen in the year to come? How can a person be confident that his year was full of more mitzvos than aveiros? How can a person be confident that his teshuva during the month of Elul was sufficient to have his name inscribed in the book of life?

Rabbi Meir Kahane wrote, "Rosh Hashanah is one step closer to the gateway out of this world and into the next one. It is a time to rehearse the speech that we will make - all of us - some day, before the Supremest of courts, as we attempt to explain the meaning of our lives below."

With two weeks left, we continue to prepare, knowing that we can never truly be prepared.

1 Comments:

At September 22, 2005 at 12:21:00 AM EDT, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

I never feel ready. Each year I tell myself next year I will set aside more time to reflect before Rosh HaShana, and before I know it it is two weeks before and I am feeling unprepared....so I can definitely relate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home