Monday, September 12, 2005

A Tone Deaf Society

Whether in the office or on public transportation, many people are oblivious to their biting tone of voice. They mistakenly believe that they must communicate their message forcefully, loudly, and sometimes even with theatrics. In this regard, they are not much different than animals that howl, screech, or roar.

If only we could attain a sensitivity to know that sometimes our tone of voice sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard to others.

If only we could hear ourselves as others hear us.

--
More on tone of voice here.

3 Comments:

At September 12, 2005 at 10:45:00 AM EDT, Blogger Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

if we could hear ourselves we probably wouldn't open our mouths ever again.

OT:
what's the point of word verification?

 
At September 12, 2005 at 1:46:00 PM EDT, Blogger Shoshana said...

It's funny - growing up in the South, you learn that you catch many more flies with honey than with vinegar. It's rare to hear harsh tones in Alabama. I try to use the same tones here in New York, and I get pleasantly surprised by the nice, helpful responses I get. I don't think I have had anyone not be nice yet. Often, the response is a reflection of what we offer.

 
At September 12, 2005 at 2:22:00 PM EDT, Blogger Anshel's Wife said...

Even when my Russian-born husband thinks he is being nice and pleasant, he still comes across sounding mean and angry. I tell him that his tone of voice is the problem, but he says he can't help it. Drives me crazy. After 15 years, I still can't get used to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home