Friday, October 14, 2005

Fuzzy Hat

I recently subscribed to Hamodia. My son and daughter really like this newspaper and enjoy looking at the "Pictures of the Week" section that includes a full page layout of pictures chassidic rebbes, roshei yeshiva, and other famous rabbis. Since my 16 month-old son cannot talk yet, he makes an exited noise every time I show him this page. My three year-old daughter is also interested in these pictures and asked me about the rabbis wearing the "fuzzy hat." After teaching my daughter that it was called a streimel, she enthusiastically pointed to each one and said, "That one's got a streimel! ....and that one's got a streimel! ....and THAT one's got a streimel!!!"

7 Comments:

At October 14, 2005 at 10:58:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess it's true what they say, "The clothes make the man."
:-)
Actually, when I first moved to NY and saw streimelach, I too found them fascinating. I actually felt it was the greatest honor if a man in a shtreimel would shake my hand, or speak with me (I was ecstatic when a fellow in a shtreimel asked to borrow my siddur) - but believe me, it gets old fast...
(You could always take your kids to Boro Park for a Shabbos and the kids would get to witness quite a few of those fuzzy hats!)

 
At October 14, 2005 at 1:42:00 PM EDT, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Have you ever thought of getting one yourself, ASJ?

 
At October 14, 2005 at 1:44:00 PM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

No, but my good friend Chabakuk Elisha wears one.

How about you?

 
At October 14, 2005 at 3:42:00 PM EDT, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

not a streimel, but I could see maybe having a shabbos bekesha one day. maybe. for now my chassidut is all on the inside...a good, sweet shabbos!

 
At October 16, 2005 at 8:25:00 AM EDT, Blogger yitz said...

You forgot to mention that the Polish Chassidim - and the "previous" Lubavitcher Rebbe [Rebbe Yosef Yitzchak, the Maharyatz] wear / wore a furry hat called a Shpodek, which is a taller version of the "flatter" Shtreimel.

And no, I don't wear one, at least, not yet... Maybe one day, who knows?

 
At October 17, 2005 at 6:33:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Jen: Yes, they do wear them all year round.

 
At October 17, 2005 at 11:42:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are indeed worn all year round, but only on Shabbos and Holidays.
Truth be told they are more heavy than they are hot, since they sit on top of your head without really coving very much (if you know what I mean).
However, Skverer chassdim wear boots (called "Shtivel") and I imagine that has gotta be hot in the summer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home