Saturday, February 04, 2006

From The Mouth Of Our Enemy

A quote from an article in this week's Jewish Press:

"The first time I interviewed Hamas chief Mahmoud al-Zahar," says Aaron [Klein], "I did not bring my yarmulke. I wanted to get out alive. But during the course of our conversation I ended up talking about my Orthodox Judaism. Al-Zahar asked why I didn't wear a yarmulke to meet him. I told him I'd been afraid to. He said he was insulted. He claimed he was a religious Muslim who only had a problem with the state of Israel and not with Judaism. He lectured me about not forsaking my religion or denying my Jewish identity. He said the next time we meet I had better be wearing my yarmulke."

9 Comments:

At February 5, 2006 at 9:45:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I understand what he's saying. He's against Jews having the land but he's not against them practicing like keeping kosher and shabbos etc.

Still he doesn't understand what Israel means to us.

 
At February 6, 2006 at 6:21:00 AM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

I agree with your last statement, Malka.

 
At February 6, 2006 at 10:50:00 AM EST, Blogger Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

He SAYS he respects the Jewish religion, and that he only has a problem with the "Zionists", but then the Imams will come and say that the Jews are the sons of apes and pigs, and that we'll fight them and extermintate them on Judgement Day, ch"v.

 
At February 6, 2006 at 11:07:00 AM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Hirshel: While I didn't believe this particular statement either, I thought that it was remarkable that a leader in Hamas took issue with a Jew trying to hide his identity.

It reminded me of a quote from Reb Noson of Breslov:

"A person must give care attention to every thought, word, and event that comes his way every day, because G-d placed Himself within them, as it were, sending each person different messages, appropriate to the time and place."

 
At February 8, 2006 at 10:50:00 PM EST, Blogger Anamethatdoesn'trelatetomine said...

unbelievable

 
At February 9, 2006 at 6:29:00 AM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Ezriel Meir: I agree. Thanks for stopping by.

 
At February 9, 2006 at 2:30:00 PM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Thanks for your comment, Dave.

 
At February 12, 2006 at 5:59:00 PM EST, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

I find it very unsettling that a member of Hamas would give mussar to a Jew. Also find it hard to believe he would take the time to actually distinguish between a Jew and a Zionist in practice.

 
At February 12, 2006 at 7:00:00 PM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

MCAryeh: I don't think he consciously gave him mussar. And, I too agree with your second point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home