Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Forgive Me! A Letter From Haifa To Gush Katif

Excerpt from an e-mail that I received from Dror Vanunu of Friends of Gush Katif:

Enclosed is the translation of the letter I got today.

Friends and family members are being injured and killed
Some of us are without a roof on our heads.
I closed my business since the beginning of the battle and I don't know what will happen.
We are wandering between family and good people.
Our family life has been impaired.
I never thought that I, a Haifa resident for 30 years, would be a refugee in my own land.
Every thing sound so familiar from the close past.

During 5 years you coped with bombs – and I didn't care
You buried family and friends - and I was indifferent
You found yourselves without a home, like that and you never had someone that listened to you.
Even when you came to visit me to my house, to explain, to convince, to share your feelings with me – I refused to listen to you.
It has already been a week. I am out of my house, without my regular routine, it is very hard to me – but the empathy, the support, and people identifying with our plight helped me go on.
You , don't even have that.
You – In guest houses, hotels and even in tents- It's not easy to say: "Who cares?!"

People from Gush Katif and the Shomron!
Forgive me!
Forgive us for letting you on your own.
Forgive us for not understanding you.
I am not a religious man, and not a mystic person.
But we cannot ignore the deep relation
Between my attitude towards you
And the price that I am paying now for my understanding.

6 Comments:

At July 25, 2006 at 8:02:00 AM EDT, Blogger yitz said...

There are some mistranslations of the original Hebrew of this letter, and also the first line is missing, which should say:
"Bombs are falling upon us and our homes."
Bli neder, I will be posting an updated English version of this at Shiloh Musings, today or tomorrow.

 
At July 25, 2006 at 9:05:00 AM EDT, Blogger Shoshana said...

Amazing letter.

 
At July 25, 2006 at 10:58:00 AM EDT, Blogger FrumWithQuestions said...

It is a nice letter but unfortunatly most Israeli's probably do not feel this way especially since there has been no outrage over Olmert discussing his plans to continue to remove Jews from there homes in Judea and Samaria as he mentioned again today.

 
At July 25, 2006 at 2:21:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Israelis may have more on their minds than PM Olmert's latest comments.

 
At July 25, 2006 at 3:11:00 PM EDT, Blogger FrumWithQuestions said...

And Olmert is taking advantage of that isn't he

 
At July 26, 2006 at 12:21:00 AM EDT, Blogger Neil Harris said...

Great letter. It makes me wonder how we can turn our backs on our brothers and sisters?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home