Thursday, July 27, 2006

Hollywood Hechsher

Yesterday, my wife sent me an e-mail with this news clip from PR Inside:

Kate Hudson refuses to cut her two-year-old son Ryder's hair, even though the tot is regularly mistaken for a girl.

The How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days star attempted to give her young son's hair a trim in the past, but found the process too agonizing.

She explains, "Actually it's really funny, because I just couldn't cut it. I couldn't get myself to cut it.

"I'm part-Jewish, Hasidic Jews - they don't cut their kids hair until they're three.

"I'm not very religious, but it's actually kind of beautiful, they compare the men to a tree and trees don't bear fruit for three years.

"So I just figured maybe on his third birthday I'll cut it. I'm going to cry my eyes out!"

Knowing that she is avid reader of People Magazine and is current with the latest celebrity news, my wife called her mother and relayed this news about Kate Hudson. My mother-in-law was overjoyed and thought it was fantastic. "Kate Hudson is SO beautiful!," she commented.

The ironic thing about this whole matter is that my mother-in-law has never been happy with the fact that my wife and I decided to observe the custom of upsherin with our son. She repeatedly finds occasions to make hints that his hair is too long and looks forward to his third birthday when he will be a normal boy like everyone else.

Now, however, with this Hollywood hechsher, the fact that a celebrity is doing it, makes it the greatest thing in the world.

It never ceases to amaze me how the masses blindly follow those on the big screen.

7 Comments:

At July 27, 2006 at 8:47:00 AM EDT, Blogger Tamara said...

It reminds me of the joke about an old Jewish lady who sits next to a man she thinks is a Hasidic Jew. She berates him for his old-fashioned dress, and accuses him of being out of touch with modernity.

When the gentleman tells her that he is, in fact, Amish, our bubbe suddenly switches gears and gushes how wondeful it is that their community can reject modernity and stick with their good, moral values!

 
At July 27, 2006 at 11:36:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ASJ,
Does she realize that she does this?

 
At July 27, 2006 at 1:03:00 PM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Probably not. Why do you ask?

 
At July 27, 2006 at 2:42:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just wondering if she realizes that she does it. I know that I, and probably many people, do things, and think things, that make no sense. Sometimes, when we realize, or when someone points it out, we say:
"Wow! This is so ridiculous. I didn't realize – my thinking made no sense!"
And then we either apologize, adjust our opinion, or say “I know it makes no sense, but I still feel the way I feel.”

I was wondering if she realized that by seeing this famous person (who represents values that she may feel closer to) also doing this, made it ok – how did that affect her attitude, and does she think that it should have had that impact…

 
At July 27, 2006 at 4:30:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dave. said...

Hi. Just dropped by after being directed here by Pilot Mom.

The video clip you posted up on Tuesday last was very interesting. I also found the letter from Haifa very enlightening - the plight of the people in this area of Israel is largely ignored by the media.

I saw the Mayor of Haifa give an interview to Sky TV last week and it was very encouraging to hear him speak about the Haifa community being made of both Arab & Jew and that they were in this together.

Will visit again.

 
At July 28, 2006 at 4:48:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Dave: Thanks for visiting and the for the feedback. Please say hello to Pilot Mom for me. She has been a long time reader.

 
At July 28, 2006 at 2:44:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

""I'm part-Jewish, Hasidic Jews - they don't cut their kids hair until they're three."

Not entirely true - Skverre Chassidim cut it at two years old.

Ashkenazic minhag opposes it as well, for certain reasons and is to cut before three years of age, as there are strong questions about it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home