Friday, August 18, 2006

My New Blogging Friend

I encourage everyone to check out Neil Harris's site Modern Uberdox and be sure to read his Midos series

Here is one story Neil shared in this series:

"Two summers ago, my family and I went to Upstate NY. We decided to drive into Woodbourne and get something to eat. I, of course, wanted to go check out the seforim store (which happens to rock). As I walk in, I say hello to the owner and ask if he’s having a nice day. “Baruch Hashem,” he replies.

We proceed to browse around and get a few items. A kippah for my son, a few kids books, a believe I got an Artscroll Mishnah, and a copy of the Chofetz Chaim’s Lesson a Day (a real deal for only $7.99). As I’m look around the store I notice a father with his two high school sons standing by the cash register. I see the father look at me and then hear him say, “People like him come in to a store like this? What would he want with seforim?”

Note: I was wearing a polo shirt and khaki pants.

Then the owner says to this man and his sons, “Yes, people like him shop here. And guess what? When he walked in, he said hello to me and asked how I am. When you came in you didn’t say a word to me. I’d take a customer like him any day.” This guy is my hero.

What this man and his kids were wearing and where they fell on the hashkafa chart doesn’t matter. You can look decent and be a mensch or you can go “casual” and be a mensch. Just be a mensch."

5 Comments:

At August 18, 2006 at 1:27:00 PM EDT, Blogger Neil Harris said...

Thanks so much.

 
At August 18, 2006 at 1:37:00 PM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

My pleasure, Neil. You certainly have lots of great stories to share. I still like your line:

"Or the person who shoved me just get that last copy of Orchos Tzadikim that was on sale? "

 
At August 18, 2006 at 1:54:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neil's the real deal!

 
At August 19, 2006 at 3:37:00 PM EDT, Blogger yitz said...

Derech eretz kadma l'Torah, no doubt about it!!!

 
At August 23, 2006 at 1:45:00 AM EDT, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Wish more people could see beyond the garb and look at actions...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home