Monday, November 20, 2006

"I Haven't Had The Time"


Excerpt from The Empty Chair:

From his window facing the marketplace Rebbe Nachman spotted one of his followers rushing by.

"Have you looked up at the sky this morning?" the Rebbe asked.

"No, Rebbe, I haven't had the time."

"Believe me, in fifty years everything you see here today will be gone. There will be another fair--with other horses, other wagons, different people. I won't be here then and neither will you. So what's so important that you don't have time to look at the sky?!"

2 Comments:

At November 20, 2006 at 1:22:00 PM EST, Blogger Neil Harris said...

I love that passage. It's at the beginning, right?
Interestingly, Rav SR Hirsch, oddly, was once asked why he was taking a trip to the Swiss Alps. He replied, when I died I will be able have an answer when Hashem ask me if I saw the Alps that he created.

Great post.

 
At November 20, 2006 at 1:25:00 PM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Neil: Yes, at the beginning. Thank you for sharing the Rav Hirsh saying as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home