Wednesday, June 06, 2007

"Keeping Back The Geulah"

(Picture courtesy of wikipedia)


Received via e-mail:


So, even though I'm the charedi type, I have to admit that when black doesn't seem so beautiful, I just put on my Breslov sunglasses and reason: what's the difference if people behave one way or another? I've just got to get myself straight. Why should I let other people throw me? Who has time to think about what other people are doing?

Once I was in a clothing store in Meah Shearim, and the charedi-attired storekeeper kept gazing out the window. She must have assumed from my style of dress that I thought like she did, because she sighed enormously and said, in Yiddish:

"Just look at that! Look how they're keeping back the geulah."

"Who is?" I'm so innocent. And, B"H, I speak Yiddish.

"Those girls with short sleeves."

"Oh, them? THEY are the ones who are keeping back the geulah?"

"Of course! Somebody should set them straight." she raged.

"Thanks. I'm glad you told me. You took a load off my shoulders."

"Why?" She had suddenly stopped raging. I didn't look up. I just kept looking through the dresses on the rack.

"Because," I told her, "Until now, I thought it was ME that was keeping back the geulah." I found a comfortable looking outfit. It was a decent shade of blue.

Slowly, the lady came over and shook my hand. She had tears in her eyes.

"Yashar Koach." was all she said.

9 Comments:

At June 6, 2007 at 10:42:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a beautiful story! The best story I've heard in quite a while...

 
At June 6, 2007 at 12:56:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice story.

 
At June 6, 2007 at 1:02:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

bH, wonderful, i loved the part about "putting on my breslov sunglasses"! reb nachman would love this.

 
At June 6, 2007 at 2:26:00 PM EDT, Blogger DixieYid (يهودي جنوبي) said...

Great story. thank you!

-Dixie Yid

 
At June 6, 2007 at 4:00:00 PM EDT, Blogger yitz said...

Nice post. Many of my Rabbeim would tell us that what WE do has a strong effect: if the Frum people are not keeping Torah properly, it has a "ripple effect" which filters down to the rest of the Jewish People, & ultimately to the rest of mankind. So if a religious Jew in Jerusalem, Boro Park or wherever is not careful about Shabbos, Kasherus or other matters, another Jew will fall out of Shabbos / kashrus observance altogether, etc...
BUT since Midda Tova Meruba - the good side of Hashem's Judgment is always more beneficial - if such a Jew does a mitzva properly, how much more so will it have a positive effect!

 
At June 7, 2007 at 10:12:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Belz they used to say:

"When a chossid in Belz begins to wear long pants (they have the custom to wear short pants and high socks), a Jew loses his religion in Paris"

 
At June 7, 2007 at 2:24:00 PM EDT, Blogger Moshe David Tokayer said...

Yitz,

I heard once that Rav Elchanan Wasserman (I think) told his students that if we talk lashon hara in Lithuania, Jews in Paris will be mechalel Shabbos.

 
At June 8, 2007 at 12:15:00 AM EDT, Blogger Neil Harris said...

I heard asimilar statement said in the name of Rav Israel Salanter (either way "they don't say things like that about me", to paraphrase a story about the Chofetz Chaim).

 
At October 19, 2015 at 4:33:00 PM EDT, Blogger micha berger said...

Neil is correct, I'm sure he did hear it in the name of Rav Yisrael Salanter. (Who did drift from starting up Mussar to eventually doing kiruv in Paris.) Rav Dov Katz (Tenu'as haMussar vol I) includes this quote in his depiction of Rav Yisrael Salanter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home