Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Single-Minded

(Picture courtesy of dsankt.com)

A Simple Jew commenting on Akiva Answers :

To answer my own question simply, the lesson my strongest taiva teaches me is single-mindedness.

At the times when my strongest taiva is successful in luring me to indulge, it short-circuits the communications to my brain, takes command of my thoughts, and directs them solely to fulfilling its aim. Just as my Divine soul desires that all my physical organ's become a merkava (chariot) for it to perform its will, so too does my strongest taiva desire that my all my organs become merkava for its decadence.

So, what can I learn from this and apply it to my avodas Hashem?

I learn that my yetzer tov must use exactly the same tactics as the tactics of my yetzer hara. In Pirkei Avos 4:1, Ben Zoma taught that the wise man learns something from every person. However, the Degel Machaneh Ephraim taught that the wise man must learn even from his yetzer hara.

If my yetzer hara is repeatedly successful by taking control of my thoughts, shutting out conflicting stimuli, and propelling me to fulfill its aims, then I know that my yetzer tov has to do precisely the same thing. If I trust 100% that Hashem runs the world and that He gave us the Torah, I should be single-minded in fulfilling what He wants me to do. If a contradicting thought pops into my mind in the guise of being a "rational" thought, I should laugh and push it aside, since its aim is not my aim.

My aim is to fulfill the unique mission that my neshoma was sent down in this world to fulfill. My strongest taiva's tactics remind me that I can only hope to accomplish this mission if I remain single-minded and passionate to fulfill it.

3 Comments:

At June 12, 2007 at 2:23:00 PM EDT, Blogger DixieYid (يهودي جنوبي) said...

I simply have nothing to add to that. It is an honest and penetrating analysis. Yasher Koach.

-Dixie Yid

 
At June 12, 2007 at 2:42:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the next step might be guidance on how to shift and maintain the single mindedness...thoughts from the rebbes, talmidim?

 
At June 12, 2007 at 3:11:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said!

Which reminds me - there are even things we can learn from our yetzer hara and use for avodas Hashem. The previous Lubavitcher Rebbe once repeated a story that took place when he was a child - that goes something like this:

It was slichos night, and his father, the Rebbe, came to wake him for slichos. A short time later his father returned to found him still in bed.

The Rebbe said: How can you remain in bed when it's time to go to slichos?!

The Rebbe as a child responded: I was tired; my yetzer hara got the better of me...

To which, his father replied: Learn from your Yetzer Hara - just as he doesn’t rest, neither should we.

(And the young Rayatz said: It’s no big deal for him! The yetzer hara has no yetzer hara trying to keep him asleep ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home