Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Five Year-Old Clarity

(Picture courtesy of bizviet.net)

I wish I could view the world with the black and white eyes of my oldest daughter whom is turning five years-old today. My wife and I have been absolutely astounded at the self-control she exhibited on occasions during the past year when she was told that the birthday cake of another child, or a delicious piece of candy she was given by a neighbor was not kosher.

This is the same little girl who in our home will protest with all the fury of her red-headed self if she doesn't get the food she is desiring at that particular second. When we are away from home, however, and we tell her something is not kosher, she immediately stops and accepts it - without crying, without a throwing a temper tantrum, and without uttering even a single word of complaint; understanding that that there is nothing in the world that anyone could do to transform something that is not kosher into something kosher.

If only I could have this same clarity to silence the "rational" arguments of my yetzer hara.

5 Comments:

At August 15, 2007 at 11:13:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Talmid said...

Happy Birthday! A sach Yiddishe nachas, ad meiah v'esrim shonah!

 
At August 15, 2007 at 11:15:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Thanks!

 
At August 15, 2007 at 12:08:00 PM EDT, Blogger DixieYid (يهودي جنوبي) said...

I totally relate to this. My kids, even when we lived in an area with less than a minyan of frum Jews, were the same way. I think kids pick up from their parents that there are two types of "no" that parents use. One type means "No, I personally don't think it's a good idea." And the other type is "no abosolutely not, this is a non-negotiable issue." Kids can tell the difference which is why they're so much more able to accept kashrus laws vs. "too much sugar" rules.

-Dixie Yid

 
At August 15, 2007 at 1:26:00 PM EDT, Blogger Neil Harris said...

Beautiful posting, and happy birthday to A Simple 5 Yr Old.

I know, for myself, that by raising kids with an understanding of what we 'can have' and 'cannot have' has only made my kids stronger. For many years we've dealt with the whole non-kosher-birthday-cake-issue. It's not easy, but your kids will continue to become strong yidden with a fire for sticking to their guns!

Our 5 yr old Uberdaughter also is exhibits similar behavior at home. :)

 
At August 15, 2007 at 2:17:00 PM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Thanks for your comments Dixie Yid and Neil :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home