Friday, October 19, 2007

The Real Test

(Picture courtesy of performancebike.com)

Received via e-mail from a reader:

Uninspired; Why This Lull In My Spiritual Motivation?
by Rabbi Mendel Bluming

Do you remember your first bike with those training wheels on both sides? Then, just as you started to get comfortable, your parents removed the training wheels and told you to get on the bike and ride. For only when those training wheels are removed is it really you riding the bike. You may fall a few times, but as long as you get back up and keep pedaling, you’re doing great.

When someone gets in touch with their Jewishness for the first time, there is a thrill and an excitement. This initial inspiration is a little helping hand from G‑d; spiritual training wheels that help us start our journey. But once we have advanced along the spiritual path and are ready to go deeper, the training wheels are removed and we have to ride on our own. The inspiration disappears, the motivation fades, and we are left dangling.

Here's the real test. Rather than being propped up by divinely created inspiration, we have to search within and start riding on inspiration that we create ourselves. We will fall again, but keep on pedaling, inspired or not, and you will advance further and further in your soul's journey.

2 Comments:

At October 19, 2007 at 12:40:00 PM EDT, Blogger DixieYid (يهودي جنوبي) said...

I couldn't agree more with the sentiment in this post. Although the author said it better than I could have, I have been saying the same thing for some time now. That has certainly been my experience in the first couple of years after I became frum. It's a potent message, but one that is very very deep in the teachings of Chassidus as well.

-Dixie Yid

 
At October 20, 2007 at 11:11:00 PM EDT, Blogger Neil Harris said...

The feeling of 'newness' is one that I struggle with several times during any given year. I agree with DY, very well stated.

As an aside, I just the training wheels off of my 5 yr olds bike.
As I explained to her, if you don't peddle then you'll fall. Constant motion is the key (I was going to blog about it, but...)
Great post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home