Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Guest Posting By Rabbi Yakov Horowitz - Pictures From My Photo Album [Part I]

I had the great zechus to daven in the vasikin minyan with Reb Levi Yitzchak Bender z'tl each day for 5 months during the spring/summer of 1979. Many of those days, I would accompany him to the Kosel on the #1 bus following davening.

At that time, Reb Levi Yitzchok z'tl was fully independent -- his eyesight had not failed yet -- and vigorously rejected any trappings of 'rebbishkeit'. He shopped, rode the bus, walked himself, etc.

One day, I decided to photograph him during davening so that I could record it for posterity. Reb Levi Yitzchok never made a fuss when he was photographed, but having spent time with him, I knew that he was pained by the process. I was also reluctant to disturb the davening.

So, I borrowed a camera with a telephoto lens from a British chaver in the Mir and took this series of pictures from the (empty:)) ladies section of the shul. You can see from the pictures that the quality improves as davening progresses. this is due to the improved lighting conditions as sunrise approached.

Reb Levi Yitzchok never saw the camera -- although a few of the mispallilim did!!!






8 Comments:

At November 27, 2007 at 12:28:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to see these evocative shots!

Thanks for sharing them.

 
At November 27, 2007 at 12:31:00 PM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

This series will most likely have another two parts. I hope to post more pictures in the coming days.

 
At November 27, 2007 at 1:27:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for photos! May be Rabbi Yakov Horowitz also knows someone who has some photos of Reb Avrohom Shternhartz ztz"l? Or may be he has some too?

 
At November 27, 2007 at 4:54:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

 
At November 27, 2007 at 6:07:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'a yid'

Sorry, but I do not have any pics of reb avrohom z'tl. I did take some of Reb Shmuel Shapiro z'tl in Miron.

They are in the album I sent SJ and he should feel free to post them.

Yakov Horowitz

 
At November 27, 2007 at 7:44:00 PM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

I plan to post Part II tomorrow sometime and Part III with the pictures of Reb Shapiro on Friday.

 
At November 28, 2007 at 3:04:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is such a wonderful straightforwardness and simplicity in the way he carries himself in these pictures that is so amazing.

Very inspiring!

Question:

His tefillin strike me as a bit large. Just out of curiousity, does anyone know if he wore large (i.e. what we would call "Chabad-size") tefillin, or is it just the way they look in the picture?

 
At November 28, 2007 at 12:43:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

his tefilin were regular size ,
if i figure out how to upload the pictures of rabbi horiwitz and reb lavi yitzchak i will with his permition

 

Post a Comment

<< Home