Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Nothing Loftier


On New Year's Day, the Sudilkover Rebbe called me on my cell phone in order to return my call inquiring about a particular minhag.

After a few moments, he asked me whether I was at work since it was still morning. I replied that I actually had the day off and was out in front of my house pushing my 19 month-old daughter in her little push car. Upon hearing this, the Rebbe said that he did not want to take any time away from my children since a day off from work was a real rarity, and that the time that I spent with my children was what was ultimately important. The Rebbe then told me that I could call him back another evening after my kids had gone to bed so we could discuss the minhag question at greater length.

After saying goodbye and ending the call, I was immediately struck by the fact that one could derive an important lesson from our brief interchange. A person may think that there could be nothing loftier than speaking with a tzaddik. Yet, this tzaddik was essentially telling me otherwise; that there is nothing loftier than the time parents devote to spending with their children.

3 Comments:

At January 22, 2008 at 11:24:00 PM EST, Blogger Neil Harris said...

Well said. In fact, beyond we said.

 
At June 22, 2009 at 10:31:00 AM EDT, Anonymous yossi said...

I think that we can transpose this lofty wonderful idea to our use of cellphones and telephones. we should turn these devices off until our children go to be in the evening, or at least set aside 1-2 hours phone /distraction free.
With the ribono shel olam's help , it may help our future generations.

 
At July 5, 2009 at 10:32:00 AM EDT, Blogger Unknown said...

Hello I saw your blog by chance. My wife is a direct decedent of the Degel (through his son-in-law Reb Dovid Horowitz and his own son in law Reb Arye Leib of Sudilkov).

What is your e-mail and how can I be in touch with you?

mine is zprise@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home