Monday, February 25, 2008

Returning To The Deeper Water

(Picture courtesy of weatherkids.com)

In March 2007, Yitz of Heichal HaNegina asked me how long I would continue learning Ein Yaakov in place of Gemara. At that time I answered,

"The Sudilkover Rebbe did not specify an amount of time to continue learning Ein Yaakov. He did think it was a good for me to learn it for some time to wade in the shallow pool before I actually go swimming in the deeper water."

After receiving a reminder via a comment from Yirmeyahu on Sunday, I asked the Sudilkover Rebbe for his advice again on this issue. The Rebbe gave me a brocha that I should be matzliach to complete all of Shas and responded that indeed I could put aside my Ein Yaakov and start learning Gemara where I left off.

Tonight when I return home, I plan to take my Gemara back off the shelf and open it up to Taanis 17b.

7 Comments:

At February 25, 2008 at 2:38:00 PM EST, Blogger Kosher Foodie said...

Amen, be'hatzlocho

 
At February 25, 2008 at 2:39:00 PM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Thanks, Perel!

 
At February 25, 2008 at 11:09:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

"חז"ל אכן אמרו (אבות ב, ה) לא עם הארץ חדיד, אבל ללמוד ולהשיג את התורה לא די בזה ששונה פרקו מאה ואחד פעמים (חגיגה ט,ב), אלא צריך לבקש רחמים ממי אהחכמה שלו, כמו שאמרו חז"ל (מגילה ו, ב) לאוקמי גירסא סייעתא מן שמיא. אם ילמד תורה בלי שישפוך לבו בברכת אהבה רבה ובברכת אתה חונן, ולא יתפלל אל השי"ת שיעזרהו וירחם עליו לזכור את תלמודו, לא יתקיים בידו וישכח הכל. גם על משה רבינו אמרו חז"ל (נדרים לח, א), בתחילה יתן חכמה וגו', ו אז זוכרים את התורה, כי מתנה לא מחזירים.

מאירך, גם עם תפילה לבד לא מגיעים למדרגת תלמיד חכם. אם האדם לא יעסוק בתורה בהתמדה רבה, ישאר עם הארץ ובור ריק, גם אם יבכה כל יום בברכה אהבה רבה ויאמר בדמעות שליש, ותן בלבנו להבין ולהשכיל וכו' והאר עינינו בתורתך וכו'. בשביל להיות תלמיד חכם צריכים לשלב יחדיו תורה עם תפילה."

שפע חיים (תשמ"ב, בהעלותך)

 
At February 27, 2008 at 3:13:00 AM EST, Blogger yitz said...

Mazel Tov, ASJ, on your return to Gemara learning! May it be with Hatzlacha, & may you mark many Siyumim of gantz Shas - the entire Talmud!

ירמיהו:
מי זה ה"שפע חיים"? אם אפשר לדעת

 
At February 27, 2008 at 8:23:00 AM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Thanks Yirmeyahu & Yitz!

 
At February 27, 2008 at 11:03:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yitz

ר. יקותיאל יהודה הלברשטאם זי"ע
אדמו"ר מ"צאנז קלויזנבורג

This volume of Shefa Chaim was available at mysefer.com, but the page is a little jumbled right now.

 
At October 14, 2022 at 1:33:00 AM EDT, Blogger Angela Coghill said...

Many thanks for this beneficial blog and congratulations on a job well done. I provided you with advice on the ideal Dice Roll profile. It can be used in games that require the use of dice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home