Thursday, August 07, 2008

If Only I Could Keep All Of These In Mind Every Day...

(Picture by Steve Rosenbach)

After Modeh Ani: Realize that I need to be concerned only with this day before me and not what I will do tomorrow.

After kissing the mezuza when leaving home - Remember that it is Hashem who decides what happens to me during the day.

Before Davening: Remember that I will be talking directly to the Ribbono shel Olam

While Davening: Remember that the second I open my mouth and daven that Hashem is right there listening to me.

Before and During Learning: Remember that I am not just studying any old book, rather it is a sefer that is precious and holy.

After Learning: Say a quick personal prayer that I am able to put my learning into practice.

Before Eating: Take time to slow down and realize I am thanking Hashem for the food and that without Him I would not even have it to begin with.

After First Bite/First Sip: Say a quick personal prayer that I use the energy from the food or drink for mitzvos and not aveiros.

Before saying Birkas Hamazon: Remember that bentching after I eat ensures that the channel of blessing that enables me to support my family is unobstructed.

Before Seeing Another Person: Ensure my eyes smile at them and that I greet them with a kind word.

After Work: Ensure I leave a bad mood outside before I enter the threshold to my house. Imagine that someone is going to pay me my entire yearly salary if I can refrain from expressing my anger for just that evening alone.

13 Comments:

At August 7, 2008 at 8:21:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your post so much !! Such good tips for our spiritual every day life! Hope I could remember it... A gut Shabbes,
AJ

 
At August 7, 2008 at 8:21:00 AM EDT, Blogger Avraham said...

Where are these ideas from?

 
At August 7, 2008 at 8:27:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

AJ: Thank you! I especially need them today after yesterday; a day of mochin d'katnus.

Avi: These ideas were found scattered in different seforim.

 
At August 7, 2008 at 8:55:00 AM EDT, Blogger Menashe said...

For me the most difficult is one that wasn't even listed. To really, bpnimius and bemes mean it when I say

Ani maamin beumah shlaima bvias hamoshiach - vafalpi sheyismamayoch, im kol ze achake lo bchol yom sheyavoy.

 
At August 7, 2008 at 10:43:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Asj, "ein yiush baolam klal"... Keep hope alive !! AJ

 
At August 7, 2008 at 2:40:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your words of wisdom that help me start off my day on the right track! These practical and uplifting tidbids give me a fresh perspective on life.

 
At August 7, 2008 at 5:18:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! Can we run it on BBT?

 
At August 7, 2008 at 8:28:00 PM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Mark: Of course you can!

 
At August 8, 2008 at 12:18:00 AM EDT, Blogger Neil Harris said...

After work is clutch!

 
At August 8, 2008 at 1:15:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

VERY very nice.

 
At August 21, 2008 at 6:07:00 PM EDT, Blogger Miss S. said...

Thank you very much; this came at a much needed time! Oh, and I fixed the link. :-)

 
At August 25, 2008 at 4:48:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good post!

 
At August 25, 2008 at 7:46:00 PM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home