Friday, May 08, 2009

Sudilkov Challah

In my attempt to reclaim more Sudilkov minhagim, I once asked the Sudilkover Rebbe about the challahs used for the Friday night meal. The Rebbe told me that the challah placed on the left side was a traditional braided challah and the challah placed on the right side was a unbraided challah with a very thin strip of dough across the top (somewhat resembling an American football). After providing me with these directions, the Rebbe asked me to send him a picture of the "football" challah so that he could verify that we were making it correctly. I sent him this picture below after a few weeks of trial and error, and the Rebbe acknowledged that these challahs were indeed made in accordance with Sudilkov's minhag. From that day forward, the "Sudilkov challah" became a fixture of Shabbos in my home and now my children ask for it by name.


13 Comments:

At May 8, 2009 at 6:45:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love these Sudlikov posts and any posts mentioning the Rebbe! so good!

 
At May 8, 2009 at 7:41:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with anonymous number 1! But is there a reason for the "football" challah? Also, have you ever thought about writing a Sudlikov entry on Wikipedia's list of chasidic dynasties?
Good Shabbos!

 
At May 8, 2009 at 8:42:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Thank you anonymous #1 and #2. I am glad someone out there likes 'em :)

I am not sure for the reason for the "football" challah, however I know that some other Chassidic groups use them as well and I recall someone telling me that some bakeries in Boro Park even sell them.

As for a Wikipedia page, I know there is already one in English and Hebrew for the Degel. The Hebrew wikipedia page even mentions the current Sudilkover Rebbe.

 
At May 8, 2009 at 12:49:00 PM EDT, Blogger Mottel said...

I love the Sudlikov posts as well!

 
At May 8, 2009 at 2:36:00 PM EDT, Blogger Alice said...

What beauties. Shabbat Shalom to you and yours.

 
At May 8, 2009 at 2:37:00 PM EDT, Blogger Neil Harris said...

Awesome. As always, I think it's beautiful that you've taken on the minhagim.

 
At May 9, 2009 at 5:04:00 PM EDT, Blogger Rafi G. said...

interesting. it would really e great if you could speak to the rebbe to find out what is the meaning of the specific type of challahs used and why they are placed specifically where they are

 
At May 10, 2009 at 7:25:00 AM EDT, Blogger Leora said...

Gorgeous challahs, whatever the reason.

 
At May 10, 2009 at 10:14:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am new to your blog, it is awesome. I clicked on the link to "reclaiming minhagim" and saw the pictures of the tefillin; wow...i am stunned. this is the exact way my family dons tefillin. i was raised in a 'MO/litvish' enviornment. does this mean i have been living a lie?

BD

 
At May 11, 2009 at 12:24:00 PM EDT, Blogger Shmerl said...

Does Sudilkover Rebbe use 12 chaloys according to the Zohar?

 
At May 11, 2009 at 12:31:00 PM EDT, Blogger Shmerl said...

You showed only two here :) Probably they are smaller than (to fit on the table normally :).

 
At May 11, 2009 at 12:33:00 PM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

The Rebbe uses 12, however we use just 2.

How about your family, how many do you use?

 
At May 11, 2009 at 12:44:00 PM EDT, Blogger Shmerl said...

I'm also using 2. (However it's nice to use 12. It was also the minhag of the Baal Shem Tov).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home