Monday, November 01, 2010

Fighting The Dictates of My Stomach


Rabbi Chaim Vital taught that if a person wants to attain greater perceptions in his learning he needs to be extremely careful in saying brochos with great kavana before eating or drinking. His whole learning, in essence, is dependent on this.

Part of my daily learning seder is devoted to learning hilchos brochos and also how we say them, and yet every time I pick up a piece of food or a cup of coffee a whole new battle ensues with my yetzer hara, demanding that I quickly and mindlessly mumble a brocha.

I often disregard the yetzer hara's advice, however, there are times when my actions reveal that I am actually heeding its advice. The cognitive understanding of what I should be doing is pushed to the back of my mind and once again I follow the dictates of my stomach.

1 Comments:

At November 1, 2010 at 7:53:00 PM EDT, Blogger Neil Harris said...

Great photo, now I'm hungry.

I think that being aware of this yetzer is a good thing.

This past Elul, I started spending 5 seconds holding my food/drink prior to making the bracha. For me this seems to allow me to stop and think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home