Tuesday, May 29, 2012

On top of my head


שויתי ה' לנגדי תמיד
I have placed Hashem before me always. (Tehillim 16:8)

Often the yarmulke’s message remains on top of my head and does not penetrate inside. I understand that Hashem is always with me no matter where we go, but I rarely say, “You are right here with me, Hashem.” I rarely take the opportunity to attempt to ingrain this fundamental belief in my mind throughout the day or during the occasions when I visit a new place.

Why do I fail to say this to myself before learning Torah or doing a mitzvah? The whole purpose of these things is to connect to Hashem, yet I rush into them without stopping for even a few brief seconds beforehand to say these words,

“You are right here with me, Hashem.”

2 Comments:

At June 1, 2012 at 10:30:00 AM EDT, Blogger Neil Harris said...

Amazing post, ASJ.

I was just listening to a shiur about the chinuch of Gadlus HaAdom by Rabbi Reuven Leuchter (one of the main students of Rabb Shlomo Wolbe zt'l). The thrust of the shiur was on cultivating a feeling of being part of something bigger than ourselves, developing a since of connection. While the "mussarniks" might call that gadlus, everyone else calls it d'vaykus, which I know you've written about before.

That lack of consciousness is a yetzer. The last line of you post is going to be written, in you zechus, in my siddur. Yashar Koach!

 
At June 1, 2012 at 10:33:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Thank you so much for the chizuk! I am honored that you would do that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home