Monday, July 02, 2012

A thunderous reply


אענך בסתר רעם
I answered you when you called privately with a thunderous reply. (Tehillim 81:8)

Just because you are alone, doesn’t mean that you cannot be heard.  Every word you speak directly to Hashem in hisbodedus in your room or walking through a park makes a profound difference. These words are so powerful that your yetzer hara will fight you tooth and nail to stop. One rabbi who has been spending an hour in hisbodedus for over 30 years told me, “I haven’t missed a day in 30 years, however, there wasn’t a day in which the yetzer hara didn’t battle me and try to convince me to do otherwise. There wasn’t a day where initially I felt like doing it and it came easy for me”  Another rabbi half-jokingly told my chavrusa,  “Do you know how you can become a masmid? Commit yourself to hisbodedus everyday and your yetzer hara will convince you that you could better use your time learning Torah!”

When you call upon Hashem privately, He will answer you with a thunderous reply – giving you more than you could ever have imagined.  All it takes is to start with a small daily commitment of time – just 10 minutes.  No matter how busy you are, you certainly can devote 10 minutes each day to a relationship that will continue long after you have taken your final breath.

7 Comments:

At July 2, 2012 at 9:23:00 AM EDT, Blogger Avraham said...

Rabbi Rosenfeld Z"L said "How do you know that Hisbodedus is the highest Avodah?"
You decide you are going to sit down and learn a daf of Gemarah. The Yetzer Harah says to you "Hey, go watch some television".
You decide you are going to do one hour of Hisbodedus. The Yetzer Harah says to you "Hey, go learn a daf of Gemarah".

 
At July 3, 2012 at 10:47:00 AM EDT, Blogger Neil Harris said...

Very good chizuk. I decided during sefira to spend 10 minutes a day on hisbodedus, no matter what. BH, so I am still keeping up.

 
At July 3, 2012 at 11:16:00 AM EDT, Anonymous David Tzohar said...

I envy you that you feel close enough to Hashem that you can "converse " with Him. Hitbodedut doesn't work for me. In the end I feel only boded. I need to be part of a tzibbur to have any chance of touching that part of Elokut that is within. To address the Elokim of Ein Sof is beyond me.

 
At July 3, 2012 at 1:27:00 PM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Avraham: Great quote!

Neil: Have you noticed any diference since you have been doing the 10 minutes of hisbodedus a day?

David Tzohar: While I understand that you may feel that it doesn't work for you, it is also something that sometimes takes months of consistent "practice" before you will feel it work.

 
At July 5, 2012 at 10:19:00 AM EDT, Blogger Neil Harris said...

Yes. I have a much more pronounced sense of Menuchas HaNefesh which is root of all good Middos, according to the Alter of Kelm (as I just found out two days ago via an email from one of the most regarded English speaking Mussar teachers in E"Y).

 
At July 10, 2012 at 9:50:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Mia Sherwood Landau said...

I love this post so much. It is a relationship, our talking and listening to Hashem. Not unlike relationships with humans, it's about attention and caring. That is what works in all relationships, but most significantly in our relationship with Hashem. This is not comparing Hashem to a human being, but using what we know as human beings to learn and grow in our relationship with Hashem.

 
At July 10, 2012 at 7:50:00 PM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Thanks for the comment, Mia!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home