Monday, September 20, 2010

The Year That Passed, The Year That Is To Be


"What is the mitzva I should concentrate on during 5770?", I asked the Sudilkover Rebbe.

The Rebbe paused and thought for sometime before responding, "Do you give ma'aser properly?"

"...well, I certainly give tzedaka throughout the course of the year...", I admitted.

With a look of disapproval, the Rebbe then said, "Every Jew gives tzedaka!!! What I am asking is whether you have a separate account devoted to for ma'aser."

To this, I admitted the truth: I did not. The Rebbe suggested that I review the halachos of ma'aser and set up a separate account for this purpose. He reminded me that the Torah says that a person will benefit financially from giving ma'aser and suggested that perhaps I would be able to work less as well.

Returning from this meeting with the Rebbe in Cheshvan 5770, I reviewed the halachos of ma'aser, calculated what my annual ma'aser amount would be, and opened a ma'aser account that included a function to automatically transfer a set amount from each paycheck into this account.

The results from my observance of the mitzva of ma'aser proved to be amazing. Within the course of the year, I received a substantial raise in salary and permission to work from home one day a week. This second benefit has aided me greatly in my avodas Hashem. Not only do I have more time during the week to learn, but I also have more time to devote to my book project. Looking back now, I realize that my observance of this mitzva helped create the nonexistent spare time that I was seeking last year.

Three days before Rosh Hashana this year, I was fortunate to meet with the Sudilkover Rebbe once again in Boro Park. I asked him what area in my avodas Hashem I needed to concentrate on during 5751 and also asked him some remaining questions that I had regarding my book project. I have since written up his responses pertaining to my book project and I hope to have a completed manuscript within the next month or two. The next stage will be to send the manuscript out to a number of people for their review and editorial comments before I approach a publisher.

G-d willing, I hope to be able to return to posting here on a more frequent basis and perhaps one day even announce the release of my book on this site.

19 Comments:

At September 20, 2010 at 12:33:00 PM EDT, Blogger Leora said...

How wonderful to find you once again posting! May the new year bring many opportunities for new mitzvot.

 
At September 20, 2010 at 1:01:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Long Beach Chasid said...

Your post today was a breath of fresh air. I too struggled with giving proper maaser this year and b"H believe I was successful at performing that mitzvah this year. It is truly a joy to read how at times we travel on the same path. Gmar Chasima Tova! May this year be your most successful year yet!

 
At September 20, 2010 at 2:55:00 PM EDT, Blogger Chaviva Gordon-Bennett said...

I agree with LBC: a breath of fresh air, indeed. Perhaps I need a rebbe of whom I can ask questions. Sometimes I feel like there's a space that needs filling or emptying, yet I don't begin to know what or how to approach it.

I've missed your posts, ASJ.

 
At September 20, 2010 at 2:56:00 PM EDT, Blogger Neil Harris said...

Hatzlacha Rabba with all.

 
At September 20, 2010 at 3:11:00 PM EDT, Blogger chanie said...

Welcome back! I hope you continue to post - your blog is an inspiration.

 
At September 20, 2010 at 3:30:00 PM EDT, Blogger DixieYid (يهودي جنوبي) said...

Amazing to see the new post! Baruch Hashem that taking ma'aser has shown fruits spiritually and financially.

Much hatzlacha on the sefer. I know it will be a big chizuk to me and I can't wait to see it!

 
At September 20, 2010 at 5:22:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Shoshana (Bershad) said...

Just this week, I was telling a friend how much I still miss your blog and its unique blend of personal reflections, learned teachings, art, and inspiration. What you gave (and still give) to your readers is a kind of spiritual ma’aser: the sharing of even a small portion of your thoughts and experiences is enriching to all of us!

I can't wait to read your book. Much success!

 
At September 21, 2010 at 4:43:00 AM EDT, Blogger EM Jerusalem said...

Hatzlocha Roba! So nice to hear your voice and hope we will much more! Shana tova, Gmar tov!

 
At September 21, 2010 at 4:45:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Abi said...

that is just great, so glad to hear that things are working out for you!

 
At September 21, 2010 at 9:03:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

It is great to hear from you all! Thank you so much for the chizuk.

 
At September 21, 2010 at 9:57:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Gut Yohr. When you're ready please start posting again. This blog is really important. Zeit Gezunt.

 
At September 21, 2010 at 1:15:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome uplifting news. : )

Alice

 
At September 21, 2010 at 1:59:00 PM EDT, Blogger Moshe David Tokayer said...

Hatzlacha!

 
At September 22, 2010 at 5:33:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does the Rebbe have a shul and kehilla here in Eretz Yisruel? If so where is it located?

 
At September 22, 2010 at 6:12:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

He lives in Ramat Bet Shemesh

 
At September 22, 2010 at 6:06:00 PM EDT, Blogger der ewige Jude said...

Hag Sameach and good to hear from you again. Looking forward to the book.

 
At September 26, 2010 at 10:29:00 PM EDT, Blogger Gandalin said...

Yasher koach, it is wonderful to see your posts back on the blog. I've really missed your comments. I am sure your project will turn out well!

Chag Sameach! L'shanah tovah!

L'shanah haba-ah b'Yerushalayim!

Gandalin

 
At September 27, 2010 at 7:23:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Der ewige Jude & Gandalin: I am so thrilled to know that you are still out there reading my posts.

 
At October 3, 2010 at 11:39:00 AM EDT, Blogger Schvach said...

Yasher koach ASJ. I missed your blogs immensely, and hope that you are back to stay. Shana Tova!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home