Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Seventh Row Center

Waking up Sunday morning, my kids had no idea that we would be driving to Baltimore for a concert that afternoon. My daughter slowly started to understand that the concert had something to do with Uncle Moishy when she saw a picture on the program before entering the auditorium.

The kids' excitement further started to build as we found our seats; seventh row center with a perfect view of the stage. When Cousin Nachum the clown first walked out, my 17 month-old son was terrified and started crying uncontrollably. My wife held him tight in her arms until he was finally consoled by seeing his grey-bearded hero. Uncle Moishy entered the auditorium from a side entrance and my son and daughter sat in their seats in absolute awe. It was as if he walked right out of our television to sing songs just for them. My wife later told me that she could feel my son's heart racing in excitement as he bopped up and down to the music.

Uncle Moishy was mobbed by swarms of young children every time he tried to come out into the audience and could get no further than the seventh row. This meant that he had to come across our row and pass immediately in front of us on four separate occasions. During these pass-throughs he bent down and waved to my three year-old daughter, patted my son's head, and shook my hand.

At intermission my daughter started crying when Uncle Moishy left the stage for a 10-minute break. Not understanding the concept of an intermission, she thought he had left for good. After my wife and I explained that he was coming back out for more songs, she dried her tears and appeared to be relieved.

When the two-hour concert finally came to an end and Uncle Moishy and the Mitzvah Men walked offstage, my son continued to wave goodbye to the empty stage for a few minutes. He didn't want it to be over and just kept waving. Both he and my daughter listened to Uncle Moishy songs on the ride home in our mini van and were able to retain their concert "glow" until they went to bed. I wouldn't be surprised if both of them dreamt of their favorite uncle that night.

Uncle Moishy has performed this benefit concert for the Weinberg Academy in Baltimore for the past sixteen years. We plan to be in the audience when he returns next year....and the year after that!

9 Comments:

At November 8, 2005 at 9:03:00 AM EST, Blogger torontopearl said...

"...my son continued to wave goodbye to the empty stage for a few minutes."

What a poignant and endearing image conveyed by those words!

I think I must've told you once, Uncle Moishy lived down my childhood street years ago, in his pre-Uncle Moishy days. His father still lives there.

 
At November 8, 2005 at 9:09:00 AM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Did you go to school with him?

 
At November 8, 2005 at 9:15:00 AM EST, Blogger torontopearl said...

No, I think he's a number of years older than me.
And when I say "pre-Uncle Moishy," I meant PRE. Not sure if he went to day school or public school...

 
At November 8, 2005 at 9:46:00 AM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Brian: Thank you for commenting. I actually prefer the auditorium setting with the "stadium seating" since it allows everyone a good view.

 
At November 8, 2005 at 11:58:00 AM EST, Blogger Alice said...

Too cute. BTW, my husband still feels that way about clowns.

 
At November 8, 2005 at 12:06:00 PM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Thanks Alice.

Your comment reminds of the time Bart Simpson was scared of the big Krusty the Klown bed, "Can't sleep clown will eat me!"

 
At November 8, 2005 at 3:36:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting this blog---every year I promise it will be my last to chair this program. Then I go into the auditorium and see all those beautiful small faces, and I truly get all "fa-klempt"---Our Future!!! So I appreciate the description of your children and how much they enjoyed it! Guess I'll be there for at least one more year:)

 
At November 8, 2005 at 6:06:00 PM EST, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Sounds like a great family tradition. A close friend in Baltimore was also at the concert, and his children had the same reaction as yours - the younger one also got scared at the beginning, but they loved the show.

 
At November 8, 2005 at 6:24:00 PM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Mrs. E: Thank you for all your efforts arranging the concert. They certainly were not in vain. We look forward to many more years of attendance!

MCAryeh: Small world. Hopefully one day we be at an event somewhere and have a chance to meet you as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home