Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Trying To Replace Worry With Trust - Part II

Three weeks ago, a major snowstorm dumped 12 inches of snow on our neighborhood and knocked out our power at 4:00 a.m. I refused to worry about the lack of electricity or dropping temperature in our home. Instead, I went outside and shoveled our driveway once the sun came up.

At about 10:45 a.m., our power was finally restored. While we were still stuck in our cul-de-sac until the snow plow came in the late afternoon, we spent a delightful day outside playing in the snow, sledding, and making a snowman.

Taking a step back and looking at the power outage in hindsight, our inconvenience really only lasted a few hours. I realize now that the snow storm was all a test to see whether I would once again resort to worrying; a test to verify whether my bitachon was real or just wishful thinking.

--
Trying To Replace Worry With Trust - Part I can be found here.

4 Comments:

At February 28, 2006 at 12:16:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, thank you for your wonderful site. Having spent my years as a bochur in the Chasidishe atmospheres of Williamsburg and Boro Park, I am now - in my middle age, discovering and reveling in the teachings and seforim of R' Nachman and Breslov. I share your excitement.
During Hurricane Wilma, my neighborhood (North Miami Beach, FL) lost electricity for two weeks. My family and many neighbors used it as an opportunity to re-learn the pleasures again of living simply, cooking with a fire, illuminating with lanterns and oil lamps, and singing zemiros at Seudah Shlishis in the dark. We had all we needed to live simply and serve Hashem w/ simplicity. No worry!!

 
At February 28, 2006 at 1:26:00 PM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Anonymous: Thank you for your warm words and for sharing your experience :)

 
At March 1, 2006 at 1:18:00 AM EST, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Mazal Tov on passing the test! I'm sure your kids appreciated your time in the snow as well...

 
At March 1, 2006 at 6:43:00 AM EST, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home