Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Kimcha d'Pischa / Maos Chittim

The Rema taught, "Before Pesach it is customary to collect funds for Kimcha d'Pischa [flour for Pesach] or for Maos Chittim [money for wheat] to distribute to the needy and the indigent to purchase matzah and other necessary festival provisions."

In Sefer HaToda'ah, Rabbi Eliyahu Kitov added, "Moreover, were he not to come to their assistance, how could he ever make the statement, 'Let all who are hungry come and eat' at his seder table, knowing that there are hungry people in his community? However, if he has made attempts to provide the hungry with food before the festival, he can sincerely say as he begins his seder, 'If there are still hungry people who I was unable to help because I did not know of their need, let them come and join with me.'"

This year, Eizer L'Shabbos will be delivering Pesach food packages and food vouchers to needy families in Tsfat before the holiday so any donation, no what matter the size would be greatly appreciated. A generous donation of $180 will help sponsor a needy family for all of Pesach.

In an e-mail this week, Rabbi Binyonim Rosenberg, Director of Eizer L'Shabbos, wrote me, "There are people knocking on my door, calling me to my phones, day and night. My answer to many of them are my list is full. I'm short of funds $30,000 - maybe a miracle will take place, and hopefully before Pesach, I'll have vouchers to distribute to the hundreds of families that are lacking basic funds. It hurts me to turn anyone down, and hopefully with the help of our brethren, no one will be turned down."

Please remember Eizer L'Shabbos when you give tzedakah this year.

You can send your tax-deductible donation to:

Eizer L'Shabbos
5014 16th Avenue
Suite 319
Brooklyn, NY 11204


An Eizer L'Shabbos food package left at someone's door
(Photo courtesy of Eizer L'Shabbos)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home