Thursday, May 18, 2006

Skipping Ahead Of The Present

Reb Noson of Breslov once wrote, "While this hour lasts don't think about the next."

Intellectually I understand the rationale behind this statement, however in reality I can't say that I abiding by it these past few days now that it is less than a week to the due date. It is not that I am worried or wonder how I will manage with another child, rather it is just the unadulterated excitement that I am feeling that keeps making my mind skip ahead into the future. Strangely, it seems as if my brain simply does not want to operate in the present.

I need to constantly remind myself that I can only operate in the here and now; that life's most precious moments are like shooting stars that will never be seen unless we are paying attention.

(Image courtesy of Luminarium.org)

7 Comments:

At May 18, 2006 at 8:40:00 AM EDT, Blogger yitz said...

Just remember the words of our Sages [which later became an MBD song]: Ha'avar ayin, v'Ha'asid adayin, v'HaHoveh k'heref ayin - da'aga minayin? - The past is no more; the future is yet to come; the present is like the blink of an eye - why should one worry?

 
At May 18, 2006 at 9:06:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

I try, Yitz. I try!

 
At May 18, 2006 at 9:38:00 AM EDT, Blogger Mottel said...

l'havdil I also remember what Yoda (his name btw comes from the word Yodea)
That the head is always looking to the sky, never where [you are] or what [you are] doing . . .
One looses the present by looking somewhere else -yet he fails to grasp the illusive future for it has not yet come . . .
Keep at it! [Do or do not, there is no try]

 
At May 18, 2006 at 10:20:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Young Jedi Master, those are some wise words ;)

 
At May 18, 2006 at 10:30:00 AM EDT, Blogger Tamara said...

This also brings to mind the wonderful story about the Rebbe when he sees a man hurrying through the streets, and he stops the man and reminds him that no matter how busy he might be he should still stop and look at the sky.

 
At May 18, 2006 at 10:48:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Tamara: You must be referring to this one

 
At May 18, 2006 at 2:24:00 PM EDT, Blogger Tamara said...

It is, SJ. In the version I've read, the Rebbe points to the hustle and bustle all around him and says, "In fifty years none of this will be here, and neither will we. So what is so important that you don't have time to look at the sky?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home