Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Two Bloggers - Same Place, Same Time

(Picture courtesy of Caltech.edu)

Last week, Soccer Dad e-mailed me and asked me if I would be attending the Uncle Moishy concert in Sunday in Baltimore. I replied that I would indeed be going just like I did last year. I also told him that since my parents, who are unaware of my blog, would be accompanying us, that it was not an ideal situation to meet since I would not be able to mention "A Simple Jew".

Yesterday, I e-mailed Soccer Dad and asked him where he sat during the show. He replied that he was sitting in the sixth row on the left side of the stage. I responded that I was in the second row on the same side and asked him if he noticed a little red-headed girl up front. Soccer Dad replied that he had not seen my daughter but he did notice "a woman who was playing with a baby in one of the front rows."

This was my wife bouncing my youngest daughter on her lap.

Amongst a thousand people, Soccer Dad and I were in the same place at the same time; four rows apart - both blending into our surroundings.

Hopefully one of these days we will get a chance to meet in person.

12 Comments:

At October 24, 2006 at 8:34:00 AM EDT, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

We also were together at Rabbi Frand's shiur. Though we didn't realize it.

 
At October 24, 2006 at 8:35:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

I didn't know you ended up going. Where were you sitting?

 
At October 24, 2006 at 8:44:00 AM EDT, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

I was on the far right. Where else did you expect? :-)

 
At October 24, 2006 at 9:33:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

I was in the center - first row between two older men.

 
At October 24, 2006 at 10:51:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy your blog very much, ASimpleJew. But I find it very frustrating that so many Orthodox bloggers can't meet in real life because they can't be "outed" as writing blogs in the first place. I think it's a shame, and it doesn't portray Orthodoxy very well to non-frum Jews, who don't get why you can't just state your opinion as you see fit without fear of retribution.

 
At October 24, 2006 at 10:58:00 AM EDT, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Anonymous: I have met Rabbi Lazer Brody (another blogger) in person and welcome the opportunity to meet other bloggers like Soccer Dad, Hirshel, Yitz, MCAryeh, Neil, Akiva in person if I am given the opportunity.

I blog anonymously because it is my belief that my words are more important than who "I" am. My words reveal who I am.

See here

 
At October 24, 2006 at 11:32:00 AM EDT, Blogger PsychoToddler said...

So close and yet so far.

 
At October 24, 2006 at 11:36:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think a fear of being outed is a major reason why Orthodox bloggers remain anonymous, unless the content of the blog really dictates that. When I was blogging I did so anonymously just a feeling of tznius. If I want to write about my family, children etc I don't need the entire world knowing who they are.

 
At October 24, 2006 at 11:48:00 AM EDT, Blogger Neil Harris said...

Funny, I blog with my name and give very few details (with my wife's permission) about family. I do intend on meeting Pyschotoddler soon (if he's reading this). We're only like 1 1/2 hours away. That's 2 Uncle Moishy CDs and 1 Queen song (I measure distance by music.
He, or I, just need a reason visit.

I too, one day, will meet ASJ.

 
At October 24, 2006 at 12:30:00 PM EDT, Blogger PsychoToddler said...

I give plenty of details but am isolated geographically from most bloggers so I guess it evens out to some degree. Fudge (my daughter) has told me that she's occasionally been approached at school by people who read my blog, and sometimes that's a creepy feeling.

Neil, we should get together. There is an amazing new museum here in Milwaukee that is worth a ride up to visit with your kids (Discovery World). Let me know if you're coming and we'll work something out. O/W I go to Chicago every so often.

 
At October 24, 2006 at 1:49:00 PM EDT, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

Anonymous?
Perhaps I should have been, but not because I'm Orthodox.
I know the secret identities of several bloggers and, AFAIK only one of them hides his/her identity because of frumkeit.
Professional reasons are the biggest reason.

 
At October 31, 2006 at 1:20:00 AM EST, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

In real life I am a superhero. If I let people know my true identity it might compromise national security.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home