Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Question & Answer With "Believing Gentile" - The Chofetz Chaim In South East Asia


A Simple Jew asks:


As a Bas Noach living in South East Asia, how did you first learn about the Chofetz Chaim? Why do you feel so attached to his teachings?

"Believing Gentile" answers:

When the Internet came to where I live around the early 1990's, both my sons told me that now was the opportunity to seek teachings from the chosen people.

Years earlier, I had responded to my younger son saying that there was no way we would ever, ever be able to study from the Jewish people from here. I remember he told me then, "G-d only have them the Holy Scriptures so they are the only true teachers."

I forgot his words until the Internet came. What I had years earlier thought was impossible, Hashem made it possible.

I know its a miracle, a blessing from G-d, that I entered the Orthodox sites at my first search and entry.

I feel G-d brought me first to the Chofetz Chaim's teachings since controlling my speech is the area where I needed the most improvement. It is the most damaged part of myself that I needed to correct in order to draw nearer to G-d.

In my early years, I was taught that doing penance by saying "Hail Mary" and "Our Father" was enough to remove any sins, speech or otherwise. However, I have come to see that this belief is false. The words we speak don't just go away. They can sometimes cause untold harm.

I carry with me always a small portrait picture of the Chofetz Chaim, which my Torah tutor Reuven Ginat sent me by email, years ago, along with a picture of Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson. They are outstanding examples of our times and I seek protection for myself in their merits and strive to follow their teachings. Quoting from an article from Rabbi Dovid Sears on this site, "We may not be able to see with the eyes of the tzaddikim. But as we try to find our way through the confusions of this world, at least we should strive to heed their directions."

Keeping in mind the famous story of Reb Zusia of Anapol, I know that I am not expected to be at the Chofetz Chaim's level, but I know that I am answerable to the Seven Laws which G-d gave us believing Gentiles and which He gave us the capacity to fulfill.

May the merits of this great tzaddik, the Chofetz Chaim, protect my family and me from evil speech.

2 Comments:

At December 25, 2007 at 1:12:00 PM EST, Blogger Schvach said...

Yasher koach to you "BG". I am Jewish
and I have the same problem. Unfortunately for me, I not as intent on self-improvement as you are. Additionally, you are far better learned than am I. I wish you all the best in your search.

 
At December 25, 2007 at 4:05:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen! How inspiring!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home